Sherman County, Oregon Genealogy
Guide to Sherman County, Oregon ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Sherman County, Oregon|
Location in the state of Oregon
Location of Oregon in the U.S.
|Founded||February 25, 1889|
|Address|| Sherman County Courthouse|
500 Court Street
Moro, Or 97039
Sherman County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Historical Facts
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Cemeteries
- 5.2 Census
- 5.3 Church History and Records
- 5.4 Court Records
- 5.5 Gazetteers
- 5.6 History
- 5.7 Land
- 5.8 Maps
- 5.9 Migration
- 5.10 Military History and Records
- 5.11 Newspapers
- 5.12 Probate Records
- 5.13 Rivers and Waterways
- 5.14 Taxation
- 5.15 Vital Records
- 6 Societies, Libraries, Museums
- 7 Websites
- 8 Sherman County Oregon Genealogy References
The County was named for William Tecumseh Sherman, a Union general in the American Civil War. The County is located in the north central area of the state. 
Sherman County, Oregon Record Dates
County Clerk has marriage and probate records from 1889
birth records from 1904-1939, death records 1905-1952
and court records from 1894. 
County Records Inventory listing the records held at the Sherman County Court House as of September 2006.
Sherman County Court is structured differently. Check the County Records Inventory link for addresses for location of records (left column).
For animated maps illustrating Oregon County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Oregon County Boundary Maps" (1843-1975) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit HomeTown Locator.
The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
Information about localities, too small or too brief to describe in separate pages. Exception to this are Post Offices. > Trivia Tidbits
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Oregon Cemeteries for more information.|
Church History and Records
Early migration routes to and from Sherman County, Oregon Genealogy for European and African American settlers included:
Military History and Records
- 1861-1865 - Oregon, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
World War I
- 1921-1938 - Oregon, World War I, Veteran State Aid Applications, 1921-1938 at FamilySearch — index and images
Rivers and Waterways
Details about the rivers and waterways where farms and settlements are often found along them. Rivers and Waterways
See also How to order Oregon Vital Records, order electronically online or download an application for Oregon Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Delayed Birth Certificates
- 1826-1975 - Oregon, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- Extractions of early marriages are listed on the Western States Marriage Index
- Marriage Index 1885-1896 Actually is a book of affiants reporting the marriages. Historical Records Collection
Societies, Libraries, Museums
Sherman County Historical Society
200 Dewey Street
PO Box 173
Moro, Oregon 97039
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Sherman County, OR History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Oregon Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Oregon Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- The Sherman County GenWeb Project, part of The ORGenWeb Project
- USGenWeb Archives
- USGenWeb Archives backup site
- FamilySearch FamilySearch Catalog
Sherman County Oregon Genealogy References
- Wikipedia contributors, "Sherman, Oregon" in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherman_County,_Oregon accessed 28 Nov 2018
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Tillamook County, Oregon page 574, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- WorldCat 50140092; FamilySearch Catalog Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed.] (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002)
- Wikipedia contributors, "Sherman County, Oregon" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherman_County,_Oregon, accessed 22 December 2018.
- Jim Tompkins, "The Oregon Trail 1841-1848 Map VI" in Oregon Trail Landmarks at http://www.oregonpioneers.com/OTMap6.jpg (accessed 18 July 2011).