Shelton Washington Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Shelton, WA Family History Center has recently been remodeled to make it more user-friendly. Patrons will be enthusiastically greeted by staff who will give you as much or as little assistance as you desire. The staff is continually increasing and updating their knowledge to be more helpful to patrons.
Center Contacts and Hours
Location and Map:
- 916 N 12 St Shelton WA 98584 United States
Center will be closed when Shelton Public schools are closed for bad weather.
Calendar and Events
Betty Kay Anderson's Genealogy classes 3rd Tuesday each Month at 10:00 am, April - October 2016
- There are approximately 400 genealogy books, plus a large number of long-term microfilm and fiche accessible by all patrons. Pedigree Resource File Discs are also available. There are also the AIS, PERSI, and FamilySearch Catalog on microfiche.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
The Center has 2 computers, plus wireless or cable access for patron laptops. There are 3 microfilm readers and 2 fiche readers. A camera is set up to photograph film or fiche images and edit and print or transfer to the patrons thumb drive. There is also a scanner and copy machine for patrons' use.
Resources in the Local Area
Other resources located in Shelton include the Mason County Historical Society and Timberland Regional Library. There is also a Mason County Genealogical Society.
- Mason County Genealogical Society
- FamilySearch Research Wiki: What It Can Do For You!: A comprehensive video presentation explaining the Wiki, navigating it, and some especially useful pages. Case studies demonstrate using the Wiki for genealogical research. Editing and adding articles to the Wiki are covered.
Volunteer at the Center
Volunteers are always welcome at the center. If you would like to volunteer, please stop by, call, or email the center at firstname.lastname@example.org .