Sequatchie County, Tennessee Genealogy
Sequatchie County, Tennessee ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Guide to Sequatchie County (established 1857) genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, Revolutionary War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Sequatchie County, Tennessee|
Location in the state of Tennessee
Location of Tennessee in the U.S.
|Founded:||December 9, 1857|
- 1 Quick Dates
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Getting Started
- 5.2 Research Guides
- 5.3 African American
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Family Histories
- 5.9 Land
- 5.10 Local Histories
- 5.11 Maps
- 5.12 Military
- 5.13 Newspapers
- 5.14 Occupations
- 5.15 Periodicals
- 5.16 Probate Records
- 5.17 Taxation
- 5.18 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Sequatchie County's civil records start the following years:
Sequatchie County Courthouse
308 Cherry Street
Dunlap, TN 37327
County Clerk has birth, marriage, death and probate records from 1858.
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court records.
Register of Deeds has land records.
Sequatchie County Courthouse
307 Cherry St.
Dunlap, TN 37327
Sequatchie County Clerk
Birth, death,marriage and probate records
22 Cherry St.
P.O. Box 248
Dunlap, TN 37327
Sequatchie County Register of Deeds
22 Cherry St.
P.O. Box 174
Dunlap, TN 37327
Sequatchie County Clerk Master
22 Cherry St.
P.O. Box 1651
Dunlap, TN 37327
Mon.-Wed. and Fri. 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
East Tennessee county in the Sequatchie Valley.
The county is named after a "Cherokee word believed to mean, opossum, he grins or runs."
For animated maps illustrating Tennessee county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Tennessee County Boundary Maps" (1777-1985) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
|Brush Creek||Center Point||Dunlap||Lone Oak|
Use the free Search for Surnames at Mountain Press's website to quickly search a variety of published Sequatchie County biographies, census, court, family Bibles, family histories, marriage, military, and probate records. To determine which books are being searched, or to search each publication's index individually, click here. You are now equipped with a checklist of books to pull off the shelves at a genealogy library, or a wish list for your personal book collection.
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Tennessee Counties: Sequatchie County, courtesy: TSLA. (Identifies published county histories, published local records, census records, newspapers and local records on microfilm, and select manuscripts.)
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Tennessee Cemeteries for more information.|
Additional Cemetery Resources
- Tennessee Cemeteries - Hometown Locator
|Source: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau.|
See Tennessee Population Schedule Indexes: Fiche, Film, or Book for more information about statewide printed indexes.
1810 - 1891
- Douthat, James L. 1860 Sequatchie County, Tennessee Census. Signal Mountain, Tennessee : James L. Douthat, 1983. FHL 976.877 X2d
- Goins, Sarah A. and Norma Jean Hobbs. 1860 Census, Sequatchie County, Tennessee. S.l.: Goins and Hobbs Genealogy Service, 198-?. FHL 976.877 X2g 1860
- Goins, Sarah A. and Norma Jean Hobbs. United States Census, Sequatchie County, Tennessee 1870. S.l.: Goins and Hobbs Genealogy Service, 198-?. FHL 976.877 X2h
- Hobbs Norma Jean and Sarah A. Goins. United States Census, Sequatchie County, Tennessee 1880. Dunlap, Tennessee : N. Hobbs & S. Goins, 1986. FHL 976.877 X2h 1880
- Sistler, Byron H. and Barbara Sistler. 1880 Census Sequatchie County, Tennessee. Nashville, Tennessee: B. Sistler and Associates, 1994. FHL 976.877 X2s 1880
1891 Male Voters
- Goins, Sarah A. and Norma Jean Hobbs. Sequatchie County, Tennessee, 1910 Census. S.l.: Goins and Hobbs Genealogy Service, 1986. FHL 976.877 X2g 1910
- Goins, Sarah A. and Norma Jean Hobbs. 1920 Census, Sequatchie County, Tennessee. Dunlap, Tennessee : Goins and Hobbs Genealogy Service, 198-? . FHL 976.877 X2g 1920
This bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" (Friends, Associates, and Neighbors)
- Compendium of Local Biography Sequatchie County, Tn. Signal Mountain, Tenn.: Mountain Press, 1997?. FHL US/CAN Book 976.877 D3c.
- Douthat, James L. Sequatchie Families: Biographical Sketches of the Earlier Settlers of the Sequeatchie Valley of Tennessee. Signal Mountain, Tenn.: J.L. Douthat, 1983. FHL US/CAN Book 976.87 D3d.
- Boyd - Boyd, R. Vernon. The Boyds of Sequatchie Valley - Genealogy Data. 1992. FHL US/CAN Film 1750733 Item 38; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- Boyd - Boyd, R. Vernon. The Boyds of Sequatchie Valley, Tn. 1992. FHL US/CAN Film 1750733 Item 37; digital version at Ex Libris
- Brock - Brock, E. Ralph. Brock: A Family History. Wyandotte, Oklahoma: E. Brock, 1989. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 B782be.
- Lamb - Mohon, James L. Lamb and Allied Families of the Sequatchie Valley. Baltimore, Md.: Gateway Press, 1996. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 L165m.
- Mansfield - Stites, J.S. Mansfield and Stites Genealogical Record: Ancestors, Relatives, Descendants. Santa Rosa, California: J.S. Stites, 1989. FHL FAM HIST Large Q Book 929.273 M317s.
- Peters - Holloman, Eddie Inez Peters and Mary Lillian Peters Whitten. Peters, Vaughan, Russell and Related Families. Amory, Mississippi: Amory Advertiser, 1980. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 P442h.
- Stewart - Blakemore, Mary Stewart. A Narrative Genealogy of the Stewarts of Sequatchie Valley, Tennessee: and Allied Families. Richmond, Va.: Dietz Press, 1960. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 St49b; digital version at Heritage Quest Online ($).
- Swafford - Swofford, Ray C. Swaffords of Sequatchie Valley, Tennessee. Houston, Tex.: Swofford, 1971. FHL US/CAN Film 908246 Item 1.
- Swafford - Swofford, Ray C. Swaffords of Sequatchie Valley, Tennessee. Houston, Tex.: R.C. Swofford, 1978. FHL US/CAN Film 1036306 Item 1.
- Swafford - Swofford, Ray C. Swaffords of Sequatchie Valley, Tennessee. 2 vols. Houston, Tex.: R.C. Swofford, 1990. FHL FAM HIST Book 929.273 Sw12s ff.
- Raulston, J. Leonard and James Weston Livingood. Sequatchie: A Story of the Southern Cumberlands. Knoxville, Tenn.: University of Tennessee Press, 1974. FHL US/CAN Book 976.87 H2r.
- Douthat, James L. Sequatchie Valley Revolutionary War Soldiers. Signal Mountain, Tenn.: Mountain Press, 1999. FHL US/CAN Book 976.877 M2d.
War of 1812
- Embry, Hermione D. "War of 1812 - Tennessee Pensioners on List - January 2, 1883," Ansearchin' News, Vol. 8, No. 2 (Apr. 1961):49-52. FHL US/CAN Book 976.8 B2a v. 8 (1961); digital version at journal website. Includes Sequatchie County pensioners (p. 52).
- 1861-1865 - Tennessee, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Tennessee, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1891-1965 - Tennessee, Confederate Pension Applications, Soldiers and Widows, 1891-1965 at FamilySearch — images
- Civil War Research Database $
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System
Regiments. Civil War service men from Sequatchie County served in various regiments. Men often joined a regiment or a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are the military units that were formed in or had many men from Sequatchie County.
- 35th Regiment, Tennessee Infantry (5th Infantry) (1st Mountain Rifle Regiment) - CSA - 2nd Company H.
Additional sources for Civil War soldiers from Sequatchie County:
- Blevins, Jerry. Sequatchie Valley Soldiers in the Civil War: Bledsoe, Grundy, Marion and Sequatchie Counties in Tennessee and Jackson County in Alabama. Huntsville, Ala.: J. Blevins, 1990. FHL US/CAN Book 976.87 M2b.
- Tennessee State Library and Archives, Tennessee Confederate Pension Applications: Sequatchie County. Includes soldier's name, county, pension #, unit or widow.
- United States Pension Bureau, List of Pensioners on the Roll January 1, 1883: Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for... (Washington Printing Office; 1883). Online at Internet Archive. Sequatchie County, page 374.
Many Tennessee newspapers are filmed and available at TSLA. Most of these newspapers may be accessed by interlibrary loan to libraries within Tennessee, although there are some newspapers which are not available in or outside of Tennessee. For further information regarding interlibrary loan policies and newspapers not available for interlibrary loan click here. For a list of newspapers available at the archives for Sequatchie County click on the following city:
- Miller, Alan N. East Tennessee's Forgotten Children: Apprentices from 1778 to 1911. Baltimore, Md.: Printed for Clearfield Company, Inc., by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2000. FHL US/CAN 976.8 U2m. Digital version at World Vital Records ($). Purchase at Genealogical.com. Includes Sequatchie County.
- Tennessee Bureau of Agriculture, Statistics and Mines. Coal Mines and Mining--Tennessee. Nashville, Tennessee: A.B. Travel, 1883. Free digital copy.
Tap into the minds of local experts. Editors of genealogical periodicals publish unique sources that researchers who are new to their area would not likely discover. This type of material may be found in local, regional, or statewide genealogical society journals. The following periodicals cover this county:
- Ansearchin' News
- Genealogical articles with abstracts of Sequatchie County, Tennessee Genealogy records have been published in Ansearchin' News, the quarterly magazine of the Tennessee Genealogical Society. To view a list of these articles, visit their county index. To read digitized versions of the first 36 years of articles (Vols. 1-36), browse their archive or conduct a surname search. The Family History Library has a complete collection of the Ansearchin' News quarterly FHL Book 976.8 B2a.
The Sequatchie County Court and County Clerk have responsibility for probate records.
- 1779 – 2008 Tennessee Wills and Probate Records 1779-2008 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- FamilySearch has placed scans of the following records online in the Tennessee, Probate Court Books, 1795-1927 collection. These are browse-only collections. Handwritten indexes may be found at the front or back of some volumes:
- Wills, 1858-1968
- Inventories, Wills, 1858-1895
The following Sequatchie County tax records have been abstracted:
- 1861 - Goins, Sara and Paula Carle Bosch. "1861 Sequatchie County, Tennessee Tax List," courtesy TNGenWeb
- 1880-1885 - Sequatchie County Birth Index 1880-1885 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch.org - free.
- 1625-1966 - Tennessee, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1780-2002 - Tennessee State Marriages 1780-2002 at Ancestry.com — index $
The original Sequatchie County marriage records are kept at the County Courthouse. The following Sequatchie County marriage records are microfilmed:
- 1859-1922 - Available at the TSLA. The first film of this series is available for interlibrary loan.
- 1858-1967 - Available at the Family History Library. Some volumes are indexed.FHL 583153
The following Sequatchie County marriage records have been indexed:
- 1858-1895 - Sequatchie County Marriage Index 1858-1895 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch.org - free.
- 1858-1881 - Douthat, James L. Sequatchie County, Tennessee Marriages, 1854-1881 (i.e., 1858-1881). Signal Mountain, Tennessee: J.L. Douthat, 1982. FHL 976.877 V2d
- 1858-1922 - Goins, Sara A. Marriages of Sequatchie County, Tennessee, 1858-1922. Dunlap, Tennessee: Goins and Hobbs Genealogy Service, 1986. FHL 976.877 V2g
- 1858-1874 - Marriage Records, 1858-1874, Sequatchie County, Tennessee. Nashville: TSLA, Historical Records Project, 1940. Typescript. FHL 24815 Item 5
- 1858-1881 - Sistler, Byron and Barbara Sistler. Early Middle Tennessee Marriages. 2 vols. Nashville, Tenn.: B. Sistler & Associates, 1988. FHL US/CAN Book 976.8 V2sb v. 2 ff. Indexes names of brides and grooms, and marriage dates for weddings in this county for the specified years.
- 1858-1922 - Marriage Records. 
In 1940 and 1941, W.P.A. workers pinpointed the location of Sequatchie County divorce papers in diverse County Courthouse records, see the following resources:
- W.P.A. Guide to Public Vital Statistics in Tennessee. Nashville, Tenn.: The Tennessee Historical Records Survey, 1941. FHL US/CAN Book 976.8 A3gp.
For deaths of Methodists in Sequatchie County (or what later became Sequatchie County) between the 1830s and the 1920s, try searching the following records:
- 1847-1914 - Smith, Jonathan K.T. Genealogical Abstracts from Reported Deaths, the Nashville Christian Advocate. (1847-1914) 10 vols. Jackson, Tenn.: J.K.T. Smith, 1997-2003. FHL US/CAN Books 976.855/N1 V48s 1847-1851 ff; digital versions at David Donahue Memorial: Tennessee Records Repository. Website expands upon the publications and includes deaths from the 1830s, 1840s, 1910s and 1920s.
Societies and Libraries
Sequatchie County Public Library
227 Cherry St.
Dunlap, TN 37327
Hours: Mon. 8 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
Tues. and Wed. 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Fri. 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Sat. 8 a.m.-noon
The genealogy room will generally be available for research on Wednesdays,
but call the library before going to be sure it is open.
East Tennessee Historical Society
601 S. Gay St.
P.O. Box 1629
Knoxville, TN 37901-1629
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- FamilySearch Catalog (FamilySearch) — The catalog is genealogical materials (including books, online materials, microfilm, microfiche, and publications) This catalog is different than the indexed Historical Records.
- Mailing List: SE-TN-L (Southeast Tennessee List) (RootsWeb)
- Sequatchie County, TN Family History and Genealogy Message Board (Ancestry)
- Sequatchie County, TN Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Sequatchie County, Tennessee Genealogy and History (American Local History Network) Resources to help you place your ancestors within the context of their local history.
- Sequatchie County, TNGenWeb (USGenWeb)
- Sequatchie County TN Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Guide to Public Vital Statistics in Tennessee. Nashville, Tenn.: The Tennessee Historical Records Survey (W.P.A.), 1941; "Earliest County Records," Tennessee State Library and Archives.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Sequatchie County, Tennessee page 643, At various libr40ries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- "List of counties in Tennessee," Wikipedia.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), 643. (FHL Book 973 D27e 2002). WorldCat entry.
- Voice of Lynnae Weller, Kingsport, Tenn. (2010).
- Voice of Louise Lynch, Archivist, Williamson County, Tennessee Archives (2010).
- The Heritage Quest Online version of PERSI aided in the compilation of this list.
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/6/64/Igitennessees.pdf.
- Orem, Utah: Automated Archives, 1994. (Family History Library compact disc number 9 part 2.) Does not circulate to Family History Centers.