|Scotland Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Scotland is a one of the four constituent countries of the United Kingdom (together with England, Wales and Northern Ireland). In 1707, the Kingdom of Scotland joined the Kingdom of England in union to become the Kingdom of Great Britain. The official language is English.
Getting Started with Scotland Research
Links to articles on getting started with Scotland research.
Scotland Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in Scotland research.
Scotland Clickable Map
Here is a list of the historic counties with the new (post-1974) county or counties they are primarily a part of. Click on an old county name to see a list of historic parishes with further links to information on parish records. The codes are the standard 'Chapman Code' abbreviations for the historic counties. For more information see Scotland Counties.
|Historic County||Code||Post-1974 County|
|Angus (or Forfarshire)||ANS||Tayside|
|Dumfriesshire||DFS||Dumfries & Galloway|
|East Lothian (or Haddingtonshire)||ELN||Lothian|
|Edinburghshire (see Midlothian)||---||---|
|Elginshire (see Moray)||---||---|
|Fife (Kingdom of)||FIF||Fife|
|Forfarshire (see Angus)||---||---|
|Haddingtonshire (see East Lothian)||---||---|
|Kirkcudbrightshire||KKD||Dumfries & Galloway|
|Linlithgowshire (see West Lothian)||---||---|
|Midlothian (or Edinburghshire)||MLN||Lothian|
|Moray (or Elginshire)||MOR||Grampian|
|Ross & Cromarty||ROC||Highland|
|Shetland (or Zetland) Islands||SHI||Shetland|
|West Lothian (or Linlithgowshire)||WLN||Lothian|
|Wigtownshire||WIG||Dumfries & Galloway|
More Scotland Research Strategies
Research strategies give guidance on how to research or what records to search for first. Below are additional research strategy Wiki articles for Scotland.
- Finding Records of Your Ancestors - Scotland 1855 To 1901 - Beginners Guide (42 Mb pdf file)
- Family History Library Research Guide for Scotland - contains out-of-date links
- Getting Started with Scottish research
More Scotland Research Tools
Research tools can include resources that assist in locating correct records to search and determining the correct locality to search in. Below are links and Wiki articles to research tools in Scotland.
- Personal names
- Glossary of terms
- Scotland Church Records Union List - introduction to this resource available in the Wiki.
- ScotlandsPeople - the official Scottish Government site for searching government records and archives.
- Handfast tradition
- County list pre and post 1974 - with abbreviation codes
- Recording Angels Scottish Registrars since 1855
- A History of Epidemics in Britain
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in researching your family.
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Historical Records
- Family History Center locator map
- Basic Scotland Research Strategies
- Scotland's Old Parish Registers: How to Access, Use, and Interpret - Parts 1 and 2
- Using Church of Scotland Parochial Registers to trace Scots Ancestry
- Scotland's Lost Other Half: Tracing Difficult Ancestral Lines in Scotland's Non-Parochial Register
- British Resources on FamilySearch.org - Parts 1 and 2
- British Resources on Ancestry - Parts 1 and 2
- www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk Official Scottish Government records and archives search site
- The Scots-irish: Plantation and Settlement of Ulster in the 17th Century
- Wikipedia contributors, "Scotland," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland, accessed 23 March 2016.