Sapcote, Leicestershire Genealogy
All Saints Sapcote, Leicestershire
|Poor Law Union||Hinckley|
|Parish registers: 1564|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1566|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Leicester|
|Location of Archive|
|Leicestershire Record Office|
SAPCOTE (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Hinckley, hundred of Sparkenhoe, S. division of the county of Leicester, 4¼ miles (E. by S.) from Hinckley. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sapcote like this:
SAPCOTE, a parish, with a village, in Hinckley district, Leicester; adjacent to the river Soar, the Fosseway, and the Hinckley and Leicester railway, 2 miles W N W of Broughton-Astley r. station, and 4 E by S of Hinckley. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Deposited records are found at the Leicester and Rutland Record Office
Contact: The Record Office
Telephone: 0116 2571080
Fax: 0116 2571120
Diocese of Leicester: Sapcote Bap 1564 - 1971 Marr 1579 – 2000 (Banns to1979) Bur 1579 - 1918 Methodist baptisms for Sapcote are also held 1807-1994 under reference DE 7649
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Leicestershire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 15-20. Date accessed: 30 August 2012.