California, San Francisco Area Funeral Home Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
California, San Francisco Area Funeral Home Records, 1835-1979
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|San Francisco, San Francisco, California, United States|
|Flag of California|
|Location of San Francisco, San Francisco County, California|
|Location of California|
|Record Type||Funeral Home Records|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This set is a collection of various records maintained by several San Francisco funeral homes, including
- N. Gray and Co., (records of the Burlingame and San Francisco branches)
- Halsted and Co. Undertakers
- H.F. Suhr and Co.
- Godeau Funeral Service, (branches in San Francisco and Stockton)
- George H. Clark Funeral Home (Sacramento)
- Clark and Booth Funeral Directors (Sacramento)
- Kremple and Halsted-Undertakers
- W.P. Peterson and Co.
- H.W. Gantner (Gantner Bros.)
Several different types of records were created. The collection includes records from 1835 to 1979. The indexes are arranged alphabetically by surname, grouped by type of record. Some indexes will index the names of the deceased, others will index the persons making the funeral and financial arrangements, and others will index both. Some indexes refer to only the name and page number. Others may also include death and/or burial dates, the age at time of death, birth place, residence, cause of death, grave site, cemetery name, and the persons making funeral and financial arrangements. Some page numbers were incorrectly transcribed when the indexes were created and such records are usually found within a page or two of the page given.
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for California, San Francisco Area Funeral Home Records, 1835-1979.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name of the deceased
- Age of deceased
- Date of death
- Place of death
- Cause of death
- Name of physician
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The approximate date of death
Search the Index
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the City (County)
- Select the Year Range
- Select the Funeral Home
- Select the Record Type and Volume/Page Range to view the images.
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Search for death or burial information in BillionGraves Index
- Search for the actual death register or certificate
- Search for an obituary or cemetery record
- Use the information found in the funeral home record to search for the family in census records
- If applicable, search for immigration and naturalization records as well
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby town or county
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Consult the California Research Tips and Strategies and its Record Finder to search other records
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "California, San Francisco Area Funeral Home Records, 1835-1979." Database with images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. San Francisco Public Library, San Francisco History and Archive Center.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.