Salisbury St Edmund, Wiltshire Genealogy
Guide to Salisbury St Edmund, Wiltshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Salisbury St Edmund, Wiltshire|
|Poor Law Union||Salisbury|
|Parish registers: 1559|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1609|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of the Sub-Dean of Salisbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Wiltshire Record Office|
SALISBURY, a city, having separate civil jurisdiction, locally in the hundred of Underditch, S. division of Wilts, 82 miles (S. W. by W.) from London. The city comprises the parish of St. Edmund, part of St. Martin, and the parish of St. Thomas; also the extraparochial district of the Cathedral Close. There are places of worship for Independents, Baptists, Wesleyans, Unitarians, and Roman Catholics. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Salisbury St Edmund parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|NIM = Nimrod Research - (£). Results delivered by email.|
|TGEN = TheGenealogist - (£)|
|SALISBURY ST EDMUND PARISH Online Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Wiltshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 5-11. Date accessed: 09 October 2013.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 10 January 2014.
- 'Wiltshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 10 January 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Wiltshire, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 14 January 2014.
- Wiltshire Coverage, The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 September 2013.
- 'Wiltshire Parish Explorer,' Nimrod Research, accessed 8 January 2014.
- 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Genealogist, accessed 27 September 2013.