Ruyton-XI-Towns, Shropshire Genealogy
Guide to Ruyton in the Eleven Towns, Shropshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Oswestry|
|Parish registers: 1719|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1630|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of the Manor of Ruyton-of-the-Eleven-Towns|
|Location of Archive|
|Shropshire Record Office|
In 1848 - RUYTON-in-the-Eleven-Towns (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the hundred of Oswestry, N.division of Shropshire, 8 miles (N. W.) from Shrewsbury. There is a place of worship for Independents.
The village was created by the Fitz Alan family in the early 13th century when they built a castle there. This castle became the manor for the eleven local townships of Coton, Eardiston, Haughton, Rednal, Ruyton, Shelvock, Shotatton, Sutton, Tedsmore, West Felton and Wykey. Some of these still survive as hamlets today.
Lying in a vulnerable position in the Welsh Marches, disputed territory between England and Wales, the castle was destroyed in 1202, rebuilt by 1313, and destroyed again later by the armies of Owain Glyndŵr.
The parish church of St. John the Baptist is an ancient stone structure with a tower, but the original building is thought to date back to the 1130s. It was restored and enlarged in 1845
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
The parish of Ruyton-XI-Towns was part of the Oswestry Registration District.
The following records of Ruyton-XI-Towns are available on the IGI:
Ruyton XI Towns parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|RUYTON IN THE ELEVEN TOWNS PARISH (1630) Online Records|
Bishop's transcripts held at Lichfield Record Office Bap 1630-1858 Marr 1630-1837 Bur 1630-1858 Missing all events 1852-1853
Nonconformist Church Records
The parish of Ruyton-XI-Towns became part of the Oswestry Registration District on its formation in 1837. Entries for births, marriages or deaths in Ruyton-XI-Towns will appear in the GRO Indexes as:
|1 Jul 1837 - 1974||Oswestry|| XVIII (1837-51)|
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 719-725. Date accessed: 09 July 2012.
- 'Shropshire Baptisms 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- 'Shropshire Marriages 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- 'Shropshire Burials 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Shropshire, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 25 April 2014.
- 'Shropshire Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 9 September 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.