Runcorn All Saints, Cheshire Genealogy
Guide to Runcorn All Saints, Cheshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Runcorn All Saints, Cheshire|
|Poor Law Union||Runcorn|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1581|
|Diocese||Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry; Post-1540 - Chester|
|Probate Court||Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory) Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Cheshire (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Cheshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Runcorn All Saints is the Ancient Parish church for Runcorn and includes: Higher Walton, Lower Walton, Norton, Rocksavage, Stockham, Sutton, Sutton near Frodsham, Sutton Weaver, Walton Inferior, Walton Superior, Weston, Weston Point Christ Church, Aston Grange, Clifton, Clifton with Rocksavage, and Dutton.
A church has stood on the site of the present church for centuries. There is a tradition that the first church was founded in 915 by Ethelfleda when she built a castle nearby. This church was dedicated to St Bertelin and was probably a simple structure of wood and thatch. There is no mention of Runcorn in the Domesday Book but there is evidence that Nigel, the first baron of Halton who died in 1080, conferred the church with a priest "in the days of the Conqueror". A medieval church was later built on the site. When this was demolished in the 19th century, Norman capitals were found in the masonry of its tower. Judging by the its Early English style of architecture, the medieval church would have been built around 1250. It was built in local sandstone. The chancel was rebuilt in the 14th century with tracery of the decorated period in the east window. Also in the 14th century a tower was built at the west end of the church and this was either rebuilt or increased in size in the 15th century. A major item of the church furniture was a magnificent pre-Reformation rood screen. This was destroyed when the church was rebuilt in the 19th century, although a few fragments of it were used in building the present choirstalls. At some time the dedication of the church was changed to St Bartholomew and later to All Saints.
In the 18th century the south aisle was in a serious state of decay and in 1740 this was rebuilt in brick. In 1801 the church was too small for the congregation so it was extended by enlarging the south aisle and adding galleries to this aisle and to the west end. The former Gothic windows were replaced by round-headed windows. During the first half of the 19th century there was increasing concern about the fabric of the church. The tower was becoming dangerous and orders were given that the bells should not be rung. In 1817 it was recommended that the height of the tower should be reduced. The south wall of the chancel was leaning and only kept in position by its roof. The south aisle, built only 15 years previously, was sinking and gaps were appearing round the windows. It was concluded that the church should be demolished and replaced. Some temporary repairs were carried out but there was insufficient money available to rebuild the church at that time. By the 1840s enough money had been raised and in September 1846 the last sermon was preached from the medieval church. The foundation stone for the new church was laid at Easter 1847 by Sir Richard Brooke of Norton Priory. On 11 January 1849 the new church was dedicated by Dr John Graham, Bishop of Chester. The architect was Anthony Salvin. The stained glass in the chancel windows was given by Sir Richard Brooke. A clock was installed in the tower in 1851. Three new lancet windows were added to the chancel in 1900.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Runcorn All Saints parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Runcorn All Saints Online Parish Records|
|FMP Diocese PRs||1538-1911||1538-1910||1538-1911|
|FMP Diocese BTs||1576-1906||1576-1906||1576-1906|
|FS Catalog PRs|
|FS Catalog BTs|
To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851 Map. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Records are also available at the Cheshire Archives and Local Studies.
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
See Runcorn page for details of all churches in the town
Census[edit | edit source]
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
- Runcorn (1837–1974)
- Halton (post 1974)
- Events may be searched online at Cheshire BMD
Websites[edit | edit source]
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
Starkey, H.F. (1990), Old Runcorn, Halton: Halton Borough Council
Pevsner, Nikolaus; Edward Hubbard (2003) , The Buildings of England: Cheshire, New Haven: Yale University Press, pp. 325, ISBN 0 300 09588 0
Morant, Roland W. (1989), Cheshire Churches, Birkenhead: Countyvise, pp. 170, ISBN 0 907768 18 0
References[edit | edit source]