Rogue River Indian Agency (Oregon)
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency[edit | edit source]
Umpqua and Rogue River
History[edit | edit source]
An agency was created in 1850, mostly for the Umpqua and Rogue River Indians, in the southwestern part of Oregon, particularly the Rogue River Valley. It operated for only a short time, for by about 1856, most of the Indians had removed to the Coast Reservation and the agent was moved to the Grand Ronde Agency.
Agents and Appointment Date[edit | edit source]
Henry H. Spaulding 1850, Alonzo A. Skinner 1851, Samuel H. Calver 1853, George H. Ambrose 1854, John F. Miller 1856 
Records[edit | edit source]
The majority of records of individuals were those created by the agencies. Some records may be available to tribal members through the tribal headquarters.They were (and are) the local office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and were charged with maintaining records of the activities of those under their responsibility. Among these records are:
- Allotment records
- Annuity rolls
- Census records
- Health records
- School census and records
- Vital records
Later records for the Indians of this area are found with the records of the Grand Ronde Agency.
References[edit | edit source]
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Press, .
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online