Rocester, Staffordshire Genealogy
Guide to Rocester, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Uttoxeter|
|Parish registers: 1564|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1674|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
Rocester St Michael is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire. Other places in the parish include: Combridge, Denstone, Stubwood, Rocester Green, and Quixhill.
ROCESTER (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Uttoxeter, S. division of the hundred of Totmonslow, N. division of the county of Stafford, 4½ miles(N. by E.) from Uttoxeter. There are places of worship for Baptists and Methodists. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Rocester St Michael parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|HATHI = Hathi Trust - free|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|ROCESTER ST MICHAEL PARISH (1565) Online Records|
Deposited parish registers at Staffordshire Record Office Bap 1564-1812 Mar 1564-1812 Bur 1564-1812 Post 1812 registers are with incumbent the church.
Lichfield Record Office holdings of Bishop's Transcripts Bap 1674-1868 Mar 1674-1842 Bur 1674-1868 Missing Bap/Bur 181848-1850, 1853-1855
Many of Staffordshire's Parish Register entries have been transcribed in full by Staffordshire Freereg and can be searched for free.
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Rocester, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 679-686. Date accessed: 06 November 2012.
- 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 13 September 2013.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (N-Z), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 23 September 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8