Robeson County, North Carolina Genealogy
Guide to Robeson County, North Carolina ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Robeson County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Cemeteries
- 4.2 Census
- 4.3 Church Records
- 4.4 Court
- 4.5 Education
- 4.6 Genealogy
- 4.7 Land
- 4.8 Local Histories
- 4.9 Maps
- 4.10 Military
- 4.11 Newspapers
- 4.12 Probate
- 4.13 Taxation
- 4.14 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Websites
- 7 References
Robeson County Courthouse
500 N Elm Street P O Box 22
Lumberton, NC 28358
Register of Deeds has been recorded from 1913
marriage records from 1787
death records from 1915, brand land records from 1799, Clerk Superior Court has divorce, and court records from 1920 and probate records from 1868. 
Register of Deeds
500 N. Elm Street
Lumberton, NC 28358
Clerk Superior Court
P.O. Box 1084
Lumberton, NC 28358
Phone: (910) 272-5900
Many free African American families moved to Robeson County from Virginia in the 1700s.
For animated maps illustrating North Carolina county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation North Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1664-1965) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Many of the court records are missing.
- Dillon County, South Carolina
- Horry County, South Carolina
- Marlboro County, South Carolina
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|North Carolina Cemeteries|
|See North Carolina Cemeteries for more information.|
- Ash Pole. Organized 1796.
- First Baptist Church, Lumberton, N.C. 
- Saddle Tree Creek. Constituted by 1788.  Lemuel Burkitt and Jesse Read, A Concise History of the Kehukee Baptist Association: From Its Original Rise Down to 1808 (1808), Chapter 16. Digital version at 
- [Book]  Enter into his gates history of the First Presbyterian Church, Maxton, North Carolina, 1878-1958.  - available online via the Eastern NC Digital Library
- [Book] Year book and directory of the Rowland Presbyterian Church, Rowland, N.C - available online via the Eastern NC Digital Library
-  Robeson County College Students; a name list of students at various NC colleges with identified hometowns in the county; via NCGenWeb Yearbook Index
-  Flora McDonald College yearbooks - from 1921-1961; via the Internet Archive
-  Students Yearbooks. Presbyterian Junior College yearbooks
- from the mid 1930s - 1960s; via the Internet Archive
-  UNC-Pembroke yearbooks- from the 1940s to the 1980s; via the Internet Archive
- [Book]  Flora McDonald College - published by Ralph Walter Page in 1920.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Lewis] Lewis, J.D. My Neck of the Woods: The Lewis Families of Southeastern North Carolina and Northeastern South Carolina. Little River, S.C.: J.D. Lewis, 2002.
-  Misc county deeds- transcriptions submitted to the NCGenWeb Archives.
- Maps of Robeson County - online map images via the NC Maps collection.
- 1779 - 1782 - North Carolina Revolutionary Pay Vouchers 1779-1782 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 - North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1885 - 1953 - North Carolina, Confederate Soldiers and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1953 at FamilySearch — images
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1885 - 1953 - North Carolina, Confederate Soldiers and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1953 at FamilySearch — index and images
Regiments. Service men in Robeson County, North Carolina Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Robeson County, North Carolina Genealogy:
- - 51st Regiment, North Carolina Militia Company F
- - 12th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, 1st Company D
- - 3rd Regiment, North Carolina Artillery, Company E
- - 7th Battalion, North Carolina Junior Reserves, Company C
- - 8th Regiment, North Carolina Senior Reserves, Captain Nathaniel McLean's Company
- - 8th Regiment, North Carolina Senior Reserves, Captain Neill McNeill's Company
World War I
- 1917 - 1919 - North Carolina, World War I Service Cards, 1917-1919 at FamilySearch — index and images
World War II
- 1940 - 1948 - North Carolina, Discharge and Statement of Service Records, 1940-1948 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Newspapers published in Robeson County - a listing of newspapers published in the county libraries that hold them; via the Library of Congress.
- Misc. newspaper articles - submitted to the NCGenWeb Archives
- Robeson County residents in the newspaper - name listing of people from the county as located in misc. newspaper articles; time span varies. Articles indexed in the NC People in the Papers database.
Online Probate Records
- 1660 - 1790 - North Carolina Will Abstracts 1660-1790 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1663 - 1979 - North Carolina Estate Files, 1663-1979 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1665 - 1998 - North Carolina Wills and Probate Records 1665-1998 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1735 - 1970 - North Carolina Probate Records 1735-1970 at FamilySearch.org — images
- 1760 - 1800 - North Carolina Will Abstracts 1760-1800 at Ancestry.com — index and images
- Pre-1790 - Pre-1790 Robeson County, North Carolina Genealogy Wills stored at the North Carolina State Archives - free. North Carolina Probate Records Website tips.
- 1783 - 1966 - Bonds and records (North Carolina), 1736-1957 Bonds and records (North Carolina), 1736-1957 have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- Miscellaneous Robeson County wills - transcriptions submitted to the NCGenWeb Archives
Uncertified copies of vital records can be ordered for a small fee from the Register of Deeds. Please visit the Durham County website for more information.
- 1800 - 2000 - North Carolina Birth Index 1800-2000 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1866 - 1964 - North Carolina Births and Christenings 1866-1964 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1741 - 2004 - North Carolina, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- Robeson County Marriages via NCGenWeb
- Misc. Robeson County Marriages - submitted by users to the NCGenWeb Archives
- 1799 - 1893 - Robeson County marriages - may be included throughout Carrie Broughton's 6-volume index of the Raleigh Register & State Gazette newspaper (1799-1893). Marriages are listed by year and PDF files are searchable. Available on the North Carolina Digital Collections website.
- 1850 - 1944 - Robeson County Marriage Index 1850-1944 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- 1741 - 2004 - North Carolina Marriage Index 1741-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1759 - 1979 - North Carolina Marriages 1759-1979 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1762 - 1979 - North Carolina, County Marriages, 1762-1979 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1763 - 1868 - North Carolina, Civil Marriages, 1763-1868 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Misc. Robeson County Obituaries - via the Durham County NCGenWeb Archives
- 1898 - 1994 - North Carolina Deaths and Burials, 1898-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1906 - 1930 - North Carolina Deaths 1906-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1908 - 2004 - North Carolina Death Indexes 1908-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1909 - 1975 - North Carolina Death Certificates 1909-1975 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1931 - 1994 - North Carolina Deaths 1931-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1926 - 1975 - North Carolina, County Divorce Records, 1926-1975 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1958 - 2004 - North Carolina Divorce Index 1958-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
Societies and Libraries
Southeastern North Carolina Genealogical Society
PO Box 468
Chadbourn, NC 28431-0468
Robeson County Historical and Genealogical Society
PO Box 2292
Lumberton NC 28359
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Robeson County, NC History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
-  Robeson County NCGenWeb - free genealogy resources; part of the national USGenWeb Project
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Robeson County, North Carolina. Page 512
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America 10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Lemuel Burkitt and Jesse Read, A Concise History of the Kehukee Baptist Association: From Its Original Rise Down to 1808 Chapter 16. Digital version atarchive.org "Ashpole Church," North Carolina Highway Historical Marker Program, accessed 22 October 2012.
- First Baptist Church, Lumberton, North Carolina; one hundred years of Christian witnessing, 1855-1955 available online via the Eastern NC Digital Library
- George Washington Paschal, History of North Carolina Baptists, 2 vols. (1930; reprint, Gallatin, Tenn.: Church History Research and Archives, 1990), 1:491.