Ringwood, Hampshire Genealogy
Guide to Ringwood, Hampshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Ringwood|
|Parish registers: 1561; Separate registers exist for Burley beginning 1839|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1700|
|Probate Court||Pre-1845 - Court of the Peculiar of Ringwood with Harbridge; Post-1844 - Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Winchester|
|Location of Archive|
|Hampshire Record Office|
RINGWOOD (St. Peter and St. Paul), a market town and parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Ringwood, Ringwood and S. divisions of the county of Southampton with the tythings of North Ashley, Bistern with Crow, Burley, and Kingston. There are places of worship for Independents and Unitarians..
| This section requires expansion with:
a summary overview of the history of this parish.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Ringwood parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|PRTS = The Parish Register Transcription Society - (£)|
|RINGWOOD PARISH Online Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Hampshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it.|
- Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848), pp. 668-671. Date accessed: 07 June 2013.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 24 September 2013.
- 'Over 1.4 million new Hampshire parish records published', Find My Past, accessed 3 October 2013. Date ranges are not clearly identified.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Hampshire, England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 8 October 2013.
- 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Parish Register Transcription Society, accessed 2 October 2013.