Ringway, Cheshire Genealogy
Guide to Ringway, Cheshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Ringway St Mary contributor Chris Shaw
|Poor Law Union||Altrincham|
|Parish registers: 1783|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1786|
|Diocese||Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry; Post-1540 - Chester|
|Probate Court||Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory) Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Cheshire (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Cheshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
RINGWOOD (St. Peter and St. Paul), is a market town and parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Ringwood, Ringwood and S. divisions of the county of Southampton; containing, with the tythings of North Ashley, Bistern with Crow, Burley, and Kingston, it is 20 miles (W. S. W.) from Southampton. The town is situated on the eastern bank of the navigable river Avon. A railway was completed in 1847, from Southampton, by Ringwood, to Dorchester. The parochial chapelry of Harbridge was annexed to it. At Bistern and Burley are other churches. There are places of worship for Independents and Unitarians.
Ringway St Mary and All Saints was established in 1515 as "Ringey Chapel," a chapel of ease in Bowdon, Cheshire Ancient Parish.
In 1720 a New Chapel was built and a year later Dissenting worshippers were forcibly ejected from the chapel.
The Chapel became the Parish Church of All Saints in 1863. Ringey Chapel is shown on a map of 1577 by Christopher Saxton. On a later map by John Speed it was wrongly named but marked just south of the River Bollin. On later maps it was put right as Ringey.
Sir Peter Leycester mentions it as a ‘Chapel of Ease’ which was seized during the Civil War by the non-conformists.
In about 1721 John Grewe of Crewe Hall inherited the Lordship of Ringway and declared his intention of restoring the chapel to the Established Church.
In 1863 it had been detached from Bowdon and became a District Chapelry. The records of Baptisms commenced in 1751 but those of burials at Ringway did not begin until 1821, burials before this time being at Bowdon.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Ringway parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Ringway Online Parish Records|
|FMP Diocese PRs||1538-1911||1538-1910||1538-1911|
|FMP Diocese BTs||1576-1906||1576-1906||1576-1906|
|FS Catalog PRs|
|FS Catalog BTs|
To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851 Map. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Records are also available at the Cheshire Archives and Local Studies.
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from 1 July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. Here are two excellent Internet sites with birth, marriage and death indexes available:
Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
- Bucklow (1900–74)
- Manchester (1974–2009)
- Cheshire West and Chester 2009
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Ringway on GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel, A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848). Date Accessed: 25 Jan 2013