Richland County, South Carolina Probate Records
- SC Probate records are now digitized on FamilySearch.
Probate is the “court procedure by which a will is proved to be valid or invalid” and encompasses “all matters and proceedings pertaining to the administration of estates, guardianships, etc.” Various types of records are created throughout the probate process. These may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. For further information see probate records in South Carolina.
The South Carolina Department of Archives and History has microfilms or typescripts of wills, inventories, bills of sale, power of attorneys, bonds, notes, administrations, judgments, and sales records. They have placed Will Transcriptions for 1782 to 1855 online. Index searchable by name, and images are available. Estate records for Richland County, 1787-1955, available on microfilm, with an index that covers 1787-1955.
Probate records for Richland County may be found in the court of ordinary, the probate court, and the court of equity. Estate records for the probate court, 1787-1941, also available on microfilm through the Family History Library, with an index covering 1787-1950. FHL Film 24335 Also check miscellaneous estate records, 1799-1955. FHL Film 24406
- Wills 1787-1796 (transcripts). See names of testators. South Carolina Pioneers
- Wills, Bk C. (transcripts) See names of testators. South Carolina Pioneers
- Wills, Bk G, 1806-1827 (transcripts). See names of testators. South Carolina Pioneers
- Wills, Bk H, 1823-1834 (transcripts). See names of testators. South Carolina Pioneers
- Wills, 1834-1839 (transcripts). See names of testators. South Carolina Pioneers
- Wills, 1840-1858 (transcripts). See names of testators. South Carolina Pioneers
Online Probate Records
- 1670-1980 - South Carolina Wills and Probate Records 1670-1980 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1671-1977 - South Carolina Carolina Probate Records, Bound Volumes 1671-1977 at FamilySearch — images
- 1732-1964 - South Carolina Probate Records, Files and Loose Papers 1732-1964 at FamilySearch — images
- 1782-1866 - South Carolina, Will Transcripts 1782-1866 at findmypast — $, index
- Henry Campbell Black, Black's Law Dictionary, 5th ed. (St. Paul, Minnesota: West Publishing Co., 1979), 1081, "probate."