Rhosddu, Wrexham, Wales Genealogy
The new parish of Rhosddu was formed by an Order in Council in 1886, containing the townships of Acton, Bieston and Gourton (from the parish of Wrexham), the township of Borras Riffri (from the parish of Gresford), and the township of Stansty (from the parish of Gwersyllt). In 1888, small parts of the townships of Broughton and Gwersyllt, from the parish of Gwersyllt, were added to it. In 1972, Rhosddu reverted to the parish of Wrexham.For more information see:
|pre 1536||Powys Fadog|
|1536 - 31 March 1974||Denbighshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Clwyd|
|from 1 April 1996||Wrexham|
Births, marriages and deaths in Rhosddu are recorded in the GRO indexes as:
|1 Jul 1837 - 1974||Wrexham||Wrexham|| XXVII (1837-51)|
Nonconformist Church Records
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. To view these census images online, they are available through a number of websites for a fee ($) or free.
- FamilySearch now has all of the British Censuses available.
- findmypast ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
The parish of Wrexham, and later the parish of Rhosddu, formed part of the Wrexham Registrar's District.
Poor Law Union Records
The Wrexham Union was created on 30 March 1837 and the parish of Wrexham, and later the parish of Rhosddu, formed part of this. A workhouse was built at Croesnewydd in Bersham. The records of the Wrexham Union are now held at Denbighshire Record Office in Ruthin.