Newspapers provide valuable genealogical information, including obituaries, marriage announcements, biographical sketches, divorce notices, and so forth. Other personal information may be included in various sections of a newspaper. Rhode Island's first newspaper was published in 1732.
Locating Rhode Island Newspapers
- The U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present is a national directory from the Library of Congress of over 140,000 newspaper titles. The directory provides a list of libraries from around the country that have the newspapers in their collections
- A Guide to Newspaper Indexes in New England ([Holden, Massachusetts]: New England Library Association, 1978) FHL fiche 6051391; book 974 B32n Digitzed version available through FamilySearch Catalog entry.
- 1798-1799 - Weekly Companion; and the Commercial Centinel at Google News - free.
- 1801-1841 - Rhode-Island Republican at Google News - free.
Resources for Rhode Island Newspapers
- The Rhode Island Historical Society has copies of virtually all newspapers published in the state. They have some newspaper indexes. The Family History Library has not acquired copies of Rhode Island newspapers.