Rhode Island Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Rhode Island Marriages, 1724-1916
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Rhode Island, United States|
|Flag of Rhode Island|
|Location of Rhode Island|
|Record Type||Marriage Index|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection is an electronic index of marriages for the years 1724 to 1916 taken from the following sources:
- Indexed church records
- Civil registrations
- The Internet indexing project sponsored by the LDS Church
Church records and civil registration were official sources and are some of the most reliable sources of family history information.
This index is not complete for any particular place, region or time period. This collection may include information previously published in the International Genealogical Index.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name of spouse
- Marriage date and place
- Parents' names
- Date and place of birth
- Spouse's date and place of birth
- Marital status
- Family History Library Microfilm and item numbers for the source materials
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Coverage Table[edit | edit source]
The coverage table shows the places and time periods of the original records in this collection. The table indicates how many records the collection has from each place. Most of the records in the collection are from the time periods listed in the table; however, the collection may have a few records from before or after the time period.
|Locality||Births and Christenings, 1878-1914||Marriages, 1724-1916||Deaths and Burials, 1802-1950|
Coverage Map[edit | edit source]
To see a coverage map of FamilySearch's holdings of Rhode Island marriages, click here.
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the bride or groom
- The approximate marriage date
- The place where the marriage took place
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Page.
- Fill in the search boxes on the Collection Page with the information you have
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
When you have located your ancestor’s marriage record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestors.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Search for other vital records, such as birth and death
- Search for the family in census records
- Search for land and probate records
- Search church records for additional information about the family
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for nicknames and abbreviated names
- Look for another index. Local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records
- Search the indexes and records of nearby counties
- Be aware that, as with any index, transcription errors may occur
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Rhode Island.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.