Rhode Island Deaths and Burials - FamilySearch Historical Records
|This is a Legacy Collection|
This collection is a partial index of records for this locality. The collection was originally assembled for publication in April 2010. Since that time only a few records may have been added. As no additional records will be added, or any corrections made to the data, this is considered to be a "Legacy" collection.
Where significant issues with the data have been identified, a Known Issues Wiki article has been created. See the table of contents of this article to see if one is available.
Many Legacy collections contain records from localities other than that which the collection is for. If available, please consult the coverage table to see what other localities may be included.
As this is an index of records compiled from various sources, it is strongly recommended that you verify any information you find with original records.
|Access the Records|
Rhode Island Deaths and Burials, 1802-1950
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Rhode Island, |
|Flag of Rhode Island|
|Location of Rhode Island|
|Record Type||Deaths and Burials Index|
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection is an index of deaths and burials for the years 1802 to 1950 taken from the following sources in the state of Rhode Island:
- Indexed church records
- Civil registrations
- The Internet indexing project sponsored by The Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Microfilm copies of these records are avilable at the Family History Library and Family History Centers. This set contains 846,069 records. Church records and civil registration were official sources and are some of the most reliable sources of family history information. Cure to privacy laws, recent records may not be displayed. The year range represents most of the records. A few records may be earlier or later. This index is not complete for any particular place, region or time period. This collection may include information previously published in the International Genealogical Index.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
Death / Burial
- Date of death
- Place of death
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Date and place of burial
- Marital status
- Name of spouse
- Names of parents
- Birthplace of parents
- Family History Library Microfilm and item numbers for the source materials
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Coverage Table[edit | edit source]
This collection is a partial index of records for the localities listed below as of April 2010. The table below shows the number of records by locality. Most of these records date from the time period indicated in the collection title. However, there may be records before and after these dates. As this is an index of records compiled from various sources, it is strongly recommended that you verify the information in original records. Due to privacy laws not all records may be displayed.
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The approximate date of death
- The residence of your ancestor
- The names of other relatives
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
When you have located your ancestor’s death record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestors. Print or download a copy of the record, or extract the genealogical information needed. Add this new information to your records of each family.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Search for a cemetery record
- Search for an obituary in a local newspaper
- Search for the family in census records
- Search church records for additional information about the family
- Search for probate records
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for nicknames and abbreviated names
- Look for another index. Local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records
- Search the indexes and records of nearby counties
- Be aware that, as with any index, transcription errors may occur
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Rhode Island.
Related Family History Library Holdings[edit | edit source]
Related FamilySearch Historical Record Collections[edit | edit source]
- Rhode Island Town Deaths Index, 1639-1932
- Rhode Island, Town Clerk, Vital and Town Records, 1630-1945
- Rhode Island, Vital records, 1846-1898, 1901-1953
Related Digital Books[edit | edit source]
- compiled by The Historical Records Survey, Division of Community Service Projects, Work Projects Administration ; sponsor: state of Rhode Island, Department of State : Record Commissioner. Guide to the public vital statistics records (births, marriages, deaths) in the state of Rhode Island and Providence plantations : containing chronologies of the legislation relating to or affecting the records together with an outline of the civic division of the state. Providence, Rhode Island : Historical Records Survey (Rhode Island), 1941
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.