Rhode Island Deaths and Burials (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Rhode Island Deaths and Burials, 1802-1950
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Rhode Island, United States|
|Flag of Rhode Island|
|Location of Rhode Island|
|Record Type||Deaths and Burials Index|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection is an electronic index of deaths and burials for the years 1802 to 1950 taken from the following sources in the state of Rhode Island:
- Indexed church records
- Civil registrations
- The Internet indexing project sponsored by The Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Microfilm copies of these records are avilable at the Family History Library and Family History Centers. This set contains 846,069 records. Church records and civil registration were official sources and are some of the most reliable sources of family history information. Cure to privacy laws, recent records may not be displayed. The year range represents most of the records. A few records may be earlier or later. This index is not complete for any particular place, region or time period. This collection may include information previously published in the International Genealogical Index.
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
Death / Burial
- Date of death
- Place of death
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Date and place of burial
- Marital status
- Name of spouse
- Names of parents
- Birthplace of parents
- Family History Library Microfilm and item numbers for the source materials
The coverage table shows the places and time periods of the original records in this collection. The table indicates how many records the collection has from each place. Most of the records in the collection are from the time periods listed in the table; however, the collection may have a few records from before or after the time period.
|Locality||Births and Christenings, 1878-1914||Marriages, 1724-1916||Deaths and Burials, 1802-1950|
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The approximate date of death
- The residence of your ancestor
- The names of other relatives
Search the Index
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
When you have located your ancestor’s death record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestors. Print or download a copy of the record, or extract the genealogical information needed. Add this new information to your records of each family.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Search for a cemetery record
- Search for an obituary in a local newspaper
- Search for the family in census records
- Search church records for additional information about the family
- Search for probate records
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for nicknames and abbreviated names
- Look for another index. Local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records
- Search the indexes and records of nearby counties
- Be aware that, as with any index, transcription errors may occur
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Rhode Island.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Rhode Island Deaths and Burials, 1802-1950." Database. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Index based upon data collected by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.