Rhode Island, Town Deaths Index - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Rhode Island Town Deaths Index, 1639-1932
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Rhode Island, |
|Flag of Rhode Island|
|Location of Rhode Island|
|Multiple Town Clerks, Rhode Island|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can this Collection Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search the Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing this Collection
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection includes records from 1639 to 1932. It consists of an index to various town and vital deaths from all the counties: Bristol, Kent, Newport, Providence, and Washington. The collection includes some church records.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can this Collection Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Death date
- Death place
- Marital status
- Parents' names
- Parents' nativity
- Cause of death
- Burial place
- Name of physician
- Name of undertaker
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search the Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The approximate date of death
- The place of death
- The names of family members and their relationships
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found Who I was Looking for, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- The undertaker may have burial or funeral records which often list the names of family members.
- Compile the entries for every person who has the same surname. This is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual.
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
I Can't Find Who I'm Looking for, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for nicknames and abbreviated names.
- Look for an index. There are often indexes at the beginning of each volume. Local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby counties.
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Rhode Island.
Citing this Collection[edit | edit source]
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.