Red River Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Guide to Red River Parish, Louisiana ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Red River Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||March 2, 1871|
|Address|| 615 Carroll St|
PO Box 485
Coushatta, LA 71019
- 1 Parish Information
- 2 Parish Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Bible Records
- 5.3 Biographies
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Land
- 5.9 Local Histories
- 5.10 Maps
- 5.11 Military
- 5.12 Newspapers
- 5.13 Obituaries
- 5.14 Probate
- 5.15 Taxation
- 5.16 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
The County was named for the Red River. The County has Coushatta as its seat and the County was created March 2, 1871. The County is located in the northwest area of the state.
Red River Parish, Louisiana Record Dates
- 1871--Red River Parish was created 2 March 1871 from Caddo, Bienville, Bossier, DeSoto, and Natchitoches Parishes.
Parish seat: Coushatta 
For animated maps illustrating Louisiana Parish boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Louisiana Parish Boundary Maps" (1805-1990) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
Neighboring Parishes or Counties
- Louisiana African American Griots Project ~ USGenWeb Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- Red River Parish Bible Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Red River Parish: The People (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to Red River Parish Biography Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Red River Parish Biographies (LAGenWeb Project)
The following web sites may have additional information on Red River Parish cemeteries.
- Interment.net Louisiana cemetery records by Parish.
- African American Cemeteries ~ listing by county
|Red River Parish Census Data|
- Red River Parish Census Records (LAGenWeb Project)
- Louisiana Census Images ~ USGenWeb Census Images Project
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
- Red River Parish Court Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
- Red River Parish Land Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Local histories are available for Red River Parish, Louisiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories.
- Louisiana Museums
- Red River Parish History (Genealogy Trails)
- Red River Parish History (LAGenWeb Project)
- Maps of Louisiana (1805-1990)
- Family Maps of Red River Parish, Louisiana (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- USGW Digital Map Collection ~ USGenWeb Project
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - US Colored Troops Military Service Records, 1861-1865, Red River Parish, Louisiana (Genealogy Trails)
- 1883 - Red River Parish Pensioners List 1883 (Genealogy Trails)
- 1898-1950 - Louisiana Confederate Pensions, 1898-1950 at FamilySearch — images
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Red River Parish:
- Map showing Civil War battles in Louisiana
World War I
World War II
- 1940-1945 - Louisiana First Registration Draft Cards, compiled 1940-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Index to World War II Army Enlistment Records, Red River Parish (Genealogy Trails)
- World War II Honor List of Dead and Missing Army & Army Air Forces Personnel, Red River Parish (Genealogy Trails)
- World War II Casualty List, Navy and Marine Corps Casualties, Red River Parish (LAGenWeb Project)
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as LA Newspaper abstracts newspapers in online catalogs like:
- WorldCat (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- Do a LA Newspaper abstracts Place-name search for these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
- Red River Parish, Louisiana, Newspaper Articles (Genealogy Trails)
- Red River Parish News Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- The Coushatta Riot (LAGenWeb Project)
- Red River Parish Obituaries (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to Red River Parish Obituary Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the Red River Parish, Louisiana Genealogy clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Louisiana Probate Records ~ information on.
Online Probate Records
- Red River Parish Wills Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1756-1984 - Louisiana Wills and Probate Records 1756-1984 at Ancestry.com Ancestry.com — index and images $
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See also How to order Louisiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
- Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
- Index to Red River Parish Vital Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1837–1957 - Louisiana, Parish Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Index to Red River Parish Marriages (USGenWeb Archives)
- Index of Red River Parish Marriages (LAGenWeb Project)
- Red River Parish Marriage Announcements (Genealogy Trails)
- 1850-1875, 1894-1960 - Louisiana Deaths, 1850-1875, 1894-1960 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Red River Parish Death Notices (Genealogy Trails)
Societies and Libraries
Red River Heritage
Rt 4, Box 364
Red River Heritage
1825 Ringgold Ave
Coushatta, LA 71019
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Red River Parish, LA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Red River Parish, LAGenWeb Project, part of the USGenWeb Project
- Red River Parish, Louisiana, USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Red River Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Red River Parish, Louisiana, Genealogy and History (Genealogy Trails)
- Red River Parish LA Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Wikipedia contributors, "Red River Parish," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_River_Parish,_Louisiana."
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 264-278. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed., Red River Parish, Louisiana p 292 (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State