Quitman Arkansas Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Family History Center at Quitman is the nearest center for Cleburne and northern Faulkner counties in north central Arkansas. The center is staffed by volunteers who assist researchers. Visitors are welcome!
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Center Resources
- 4 Center Services
Center Contacts and Hours
- 6556 Heber Springs Road, Quitman, AR 72131-8808 United States
Phone: 501-589-3628 during center hours
After hours 501-593-3974
FHC Director: LaDawn Ross
- Wednesday 7 pm - 8:00 pm
To schedule another time at the center, please email or call Sister Ross
- Closed on major holidays
- Closed on November 22, 2017
- Closed on December 20 and 27, 2017
- Weather Closures-Closed when Quitman School District closes due to inclement weather.
Calendar and Events
Classes will be listed as they are offered. We would be happy to set up a family class or session. Call Sister Ross to make an appointment.
- We offer access to and assistance in the use of many internet research sites. We can also assist you with the use of The FamilySearch Catalog, the online catalog describing the holdings of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City.
- Our computers access the FamilySearch database which contains many millions of names linked into families.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions. Our consultants can help you set up accounts and use these resources.
Hardware and Equipment
- Two computers with FamilySearch internet access
- Printer, Scanner, Copier
- One microfiche reader
- two microfilm readers
We encourage visitors to bring own their digital cameras for copying images from microfilm or microfiche Then you have your own digital record and can take the images home to clean them up on your imaging program! If the FHC camera is used, copies may be printed or files may be transferred to a jump drive using the XnView program found on the computer in the main office.
Memory sticks/jump drives can be used to download information from the microfilm scanner.
Patrons may bring their own laptops for note-taking or entering information into personal genealogical programs, with the disclaimer that the owner is responsible for the security of the device. Wireless internet is currently available in the building, though there may be days when availability is limited due to updating, etc
Staff Research Specialties
Consultants provide one-on-one assistance. For best results call and schedule your visit and let us know your particular area of interest.
Resources in the Local Area
Cleburne County Historical Society
http://lotsastuff.info/cleburne/ Cleburne County HIstorical Society
Planning a Visit
Our FHC is staffed by local volunteers who can help get you started with family history research. They can guide you in using FHC resources and equipment. If you're planning a visit to our center to begin your genealogy, write down what you know about the family you wish to research -- names, dates, and places -- and choose a research goal. This will help our volunteers to best assist you. Please call to calendar and confirm group visits in advance.
You will receive an e-mail or phone call from us when the film has arrived on loan in our FHC for your use
Volunteer at the Center
We welcome volunteers from the community to serve in the Family History Center. It's a great way to help others and to learn by doing. You need not be an expert. Ability to use a computer and willingness to become familiar with the FamilySearch website and resources are key. Contact the FHC directors at the telephone or e-mail listed above for more information.