Quincy Illinois Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
- 1 Location
- 2 Center Contact Info
- 3 Hours of Operation
- 4 Boy Scout Genealogy Merit Badge / Cub Scout Heritages Pin or Belt Loop
- 5 FHC Onsite Resources
- 6 Calendar and Events
- 7 In the Local Area
- 8 Websites for Local Information
- 9 Links
- 10 Volunteer at the Center
Location[edit | edit source]
- Location Map
- 210 Cardinal Terrace
Quincy IL 62301 United States
- We are located in the rear of the building on the southeast corner along the south end of the building (image of the entrance is on the bottom left of the collage) and have ADA-compatible access. Entrance is at the southeast door. Push Door bell and we will answer and open the door. The Center is immediately to the left as you enter the building. Ample free parking is available.
- Please note that this is not a mailing address. Due to limited staff, Family History Centers are unable to respond to mail inquiries.
- Location Map
Center Contact Info[edit | edit source]
- Phone: 217-224-3220 (FHC phone)
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Quincy IL TFHC-Center: 309-306-2060 or email@example.com
Hours of Operation[edit | edit source]
FHC Hours[edit | edit source]
- Sunday: CLOSED
- Monday: CLOSED
- Tuesday: 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
- Wednesday: CLOSED
- Thursday: 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
- Friday: CLOSED
- Saturday: 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
Because of several staff members having some recent major illness concerns, the FHC is short staffed temporarily. If you are interested in using the FHC but cannot come in during the limited hours, please call 309-306-2060 and we will try to accommodate a time that works for you.
NOTE: If these hours do not work with your schedule, there may be a possibility of making an appointment to use the FHC outside of these hours. To arrange a possible appointment outside of the listed hours, please call 309-306-2060.
We occasionally close unexpectedly because of inclement weather or illness. Please call for information about unexpected alterations to our normal operation hours.
Holiday Closure Schedule[edit | edit source]
Closed for the following holidays:
- New Year's Day
- General Conference (first Saturday of April)
- Independence Day
- General Conference (first Saturday of October)
- Thanksgiving Day and the following Friday
- Christmas Eve to New Year's Day
Boy Scout Genealogy Merit Badge / Cub Scout Heritages Pin or Belt Loop[edit | edit source]
Our staff is ready to work with your pack or troop to earn either the Genealogy Merit Badge (Boy Scouts) or the Heritage Pin or Belt Loop (cub scouts). For more information about scheduling either the scouts to come to the FHC or to have a staff member to come to your scout troop/pack, please call 309-306-2060.
FHC Onsite Resources[edit | edit source]
Our Patron Resources[edit | edit source]
- 4 Patron Computers (recent models)
- 2 Microfilm Readers
- 1 Microfiche Reader
- 1 Digital Camera for copying microfilm & microfiche
- 1 Multi-use printer (color scanner and b/w printer)
- 1 Photo printer
- WiFi Internet access through out the building
Free Access to Premium Online Databases[edit | edit source]
- Newspaper Archives
- Find My Past (access to limited records)
- Godfrey Memorial Library
- Heritage Quest Online
- 19th Century British Library Newspaper Digital Archive
- Alexander Street Press - The American Civil War
- ArkivDigital Online
- Historical Map Works Library Edition
- Paper Trail
- World Vital Records
Microfilm[edit | edit source]
- Microfilm can no longer be ordered to family history centers.
- This family history center may already have copies of various microfilms from the Family History Library in Salt Lake City.
Calendar and Events[edit | edit source]
Check back soon for specific events and classes available at the Quincy Family History Center.
Upcoming Events[edit | edit source]
Correcting Errors in FamilySearch
Saturday, September 19 @ 9:00AM
FamilySearch FamilyTree has information submitted by people from all over the world and is available for free. Individuals may have entered incorrect information, though. But what if you know the information is incorrect, how do you change it? This session will demonstrate how to make changes in FamilySearch. The Family History Center will be open afterwards for anyone that needs hands-on help.
Staff Training Meetings[edit | edit source]
In the Local Area[edit | edit source]
- Quincy Public Library - Illinois Room
526 Jersey St., Quincy, IL (Directions - Google Maps)
- Historical Society of Quincy and Adams County -- Research Library
425 S 12th St, Quincy, IL (Directions - Google Maps)
- Brenner Library - Quincy University
1800 College Ave, Quincy, IL (Directions - Google Maps)
- Quincy Museum
1601 Maine St, Quincy, IL (Directions - Google Maps)
- Great River Genealogical Society
Meets second Thursday of each month, September to April
at the Lutheran Church of St. John, 3340 State St, Quincy IL (Directions - Google Maps)
Websites for Local Information[edit | edit source]
- Adams County, Illinois GenWeb
- Adams County, Illinois Genealogy Trails
- Quincy Newspaper Archives -- Quincy Public Library
- Quincy Area Historic Photo Collection -- Illinois Digital Archives
- Illinois State Archives Databases -- Marriages, Deaths, Military, Land, Servitude/Emancipation, etc.
- Illinois Boys in Blue -- Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library
Links[edit | edit source]
- FamilySearch Research Wiki: What It Can Do For You!: A comprehensive video presentation explaining the Wiki, navigating it, and some especially useful pages. Case studies demonstrate using the Wiki for genealogical research. Editing and adding articles to the Wiki are covered.
Volunteer at the Center[edit | edit source]
If you would like to donate your time and talents and work with us in the library, please let us know. We would love to work with you. You can contact the temple and family history consultant - center at 309-306-2060.