Pulaski County, Georgia Genealogy
Guide to Pulaski County, Georgia ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Pulaski County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||December 13, 1808|
|Address|| Pulaski County Courthouse|
PO Box 29
Hawkinsville, GA 31036-0029
Pulaski County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Genealogy Resources
- 5.1 Research Guides
- 5.2 African Americans
- 5.3 Bible Records
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church Records
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Genealogy
- 5.9 Land and Property
- 5.10 Local Histories
- 5.11 Maps
- 5.12 Military
- 5.13 Naturalization
- 5.14 Newspapers
- 5.15 Occupations
- 5.16 Probate Records
- 5.17 Taxation
- 5.18 Vital Records
- 5.19 Voter Records
- 6 Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Pulaski County, Georgia Record Dates
Pulaski County Courthouse
PO Box 29
Hawkinsville, GA 31036-0029
Clerk Superior Court has divorce and court record from 1850 and land records from 1810; Probate, Court has marriage and probate from 1810, birth records from 1935 and death records from 1920
Clerk of Superior Court
350 Commerce Street
P.O. Box 60
Hawkinsville, GA 31036
Phone: (478) 783-1911
Fax: (478) 892-3308
Probate Court of Pulaski County
Hawkinsville, GA 31036
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Error: Image is invalid or non-existent.
The following web site may have additional information on Pulaski County cemeteries.
- Interment.net Georgia cemetery records
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Pulaski County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
- History of Pulaski County, Georgia: Official History. Atlanta, Ga.: Press of W.W. Brown Pub. Co., c1935. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project
War of 1812
Pulaski County was part of the first brigade of the fifth division of the Georgia Militia along with the counties of Twiggs, Wilkinson, and Laurens.
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
Regiments. Service men in Pulaski County, Georgia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Pulaski County, Georgia Genealogy:
- - 8th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company G
- - 10th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company G
- - 31st Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company F
- - 35th Battalion, Georgia (Confederate), Company F
- - 49th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company K
- - Fraser's Battery, Georgia Light Artillery (Confederate)
- - Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project
- Daughters of the American Revolution, and Virginia Speer Harris. 1957. History of Pulaski and Bleckley Counties, Georgia, 1808-1956. (see V.1 page 124 - 154: to view a digital version go to FHL Catalog ) FHL Collection or WorldCat
- Georgia. Court of Ordinary (Pulaski County). 1958. Civil War pension roll, 1890-1920. Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah. film 177756
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Pulaski County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch Catalog. Do a Place search for Pulaski County, Georgia Genealogy to find these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Online Probate Records
- 1742–1992 Georgia Wills and Probate Records 1742-1992 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1742–1990 Georgia Probate Records 1742-1990 at FamilySearch.org images
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- 1810-1816 Will Book A, 1810-1816 (abstracts) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1816-1854 Will Book B, 1816-1854 (abstracts) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1855-1906 Index to Will Book C, 1855-1906 Georgia Pioneers $
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online.
- 1560-1993 - Georgia, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1699 - 1944 - Georgia Marriages 1699-1944 at Ancestry.com— index $
- 1754 - 1960 - Georgia Church Marriages, 1754-1960 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1785 - 1950 - Georgia County Marriages 1785-1950 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1787 - 1962 - Georgia, Church Marriages, 1787-1962 at FamilySearch — index
- 1808 - 1967 - Georgia Marriages 1808-1967 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1828 - 1978 - Georgia Marriage Records from Select Counties 1828-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1810 - 1856 - Pulaski County Marriage Index 1810-1856. Batch M713531 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1856 - 1876 - Pulaski County Marriage Index 1856-1876. Batch M713532 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1876 - 1894 - Pulaski County Marriage Books H and I Index 1876-1894. Batch M713533 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1894 - 1895 - Pulaski County Marriage Index 1894-1895. Batch M713534 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1894 - 1895 - Pulaski County Marriage Index 1894-1895. Batch M713535 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1894 - 1909 - Pulaski County Marriage Books J and K Index 1894-1909. Batch M392305 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1914 - 1927 - Georgia Deaths 1914-1927 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1919 - 1998 - Georgia Deaths 1919-1998 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1928 - 1939 - Georgia Deaths 1928-1939 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1933 - 1998 - Georgia Death Index 1933-1998 at FamilySearch.org — index
Vital Record Substitutes
- 1867-1868 - Georgia, Reconstruction Registration Oath Books, 1867-1868 at FamilySearch — index
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Wiregrass Genealogical Society
45 25th Ave.
Eastman, GA 31023
Central Georgia Genealogical Society
Post Office Box 2024
Warner Robins, GA 31099
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Pulaski County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Pulaski County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers $
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Pulaski County, Georgia. Page 159 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Paul K. Graham, Georgia Courthouse Disasters (Decatur, Georgia: Genealogy Co., 2013), 50. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/53/Igigeorgiamz.pdf.