Pueblo of San Juan, New Mexico
Guide to Pueblo of San Juan, New Mexico ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
Established: Original Spanish Land Grant 1689
Agency: Northern Pueblos Agnecy
San Juan, New Mexico
In 1598 the new Spanish settlement near this Pueblo was made the first capital of the New Mexico province of New Spainby Juan de Oñate. It is 25 miles (40 km) north of Santa Fe, which replaced it as the capital when founded in 1608. San Juan Pueblo was the northern terminus of the Camino Real de Tierra Adentro, an important historic trail from Mexico City used by settlers and traders from 1598 to 1884. San Juan Pueblo was also the home of Popé, the leader of Pueblo Revolt of 1680 against the Spanish.
In 2005 the Tewa people changed the Pueblo name back to its pre-Spanish name, Ohkay Owingeh.
1541: Contact by Francisco Vaszuez de Coronado
1591: Spanish colonization
1598: First capital in New Mexico at pueblo of Oke near San Juan
1610: Capital moved to Santa Fe
1680: Pueblo Revolt against the Spanish
1846-1848: Mexican-American War land ceded to United States
1848: The Treaty of Guadalupe Hildago, New Mexico becomes part of the United States
1924: Pueblo Lands Act
2005: Tewa people return to pre-Spanish name of Ohkay Owingeh
Additional References to the History of the Tribe and/or Band
The 1900 federal census included population schedules for the San Juan Pueblo in New Mexico. The Indians residing in this Pueblo in 1900 are listed on Indian Population Schedules as District 93, San Juan Pueblo, in Rio Arriba County, New Mexico.
Tribal-owned 12,232 acres.
- Indian Reservations A State and Federal Handbook. Compiled by The Confederation of American Indians, New York, N.Y. McFarland and Co. Inc., Jefferson, North Carolina, c. 1986. FHL book 970.1 In2
- Wikipedia contributors, "Ohkay Owingeh Pueblo, New Mexico" in Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ohkay_Owingeh_Pueblo,_New_Mexico (accessed 21 June 2009).
- Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives; Record Group 75, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1906 Available online.
- Klein, Barry T., ed. Reference Encyclopedia of the American Indian. Nyack, New York: Todd Publications, 2009. 10th ed. WorldCat 317923332; FHL book 970.1 R259e.
- Malinowski, Sharon and Sheets, Anna, eds. The Gale Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. Detroit: Gale Publishing, 1998. 4 volumes. Includes: Lists of Federally Recognized Tribes for U.S., Alaska, and Canada – pp. 513-529 Alphabetical Listing of Tribes, with reference to volume and page in this series Map of “Historic Locations of U.S. Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Canadian Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Mexican, Hawaiian and Caribbean Native Groups” Maps of “State and Federally Recognized U.S. Indian Reservations. WorldCat 37475188; FHL book 970.1 G131g.
- Vol. 1 -- Northeast, Southeast, Caribbean
- Vol. 2 -- Great Basin, Southwest, Middle America
- Vol. 3 -- Arctic, Subarctic, Great Plains, Plateau
- Vol. 4 -- California, Pacific Northwest, Pacific Islands
- Sturtevant, William C. Handbook of North American Indians. 20 vols., some not yet published. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1978– .
- Volume 1 -- Not yet published
- Volume 2 -- Indians in Contemporary Society (pub. 2008) -- WorldCat 234303751
- Volume 3 -- Environment, Origins, and Population (pub. 2006) -- WorldCat 255572371
- Volume 4 -- History of Indian-White Relations (pub. 1988) -- WorldCat 19331914; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.4.
- Volume 5 -- Arctic (pub. 1984) -- WorldCat 299653808; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.5.
- Volume 6 -- Subarctic (pub. 1981) -- WorldCat 247493742; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.6.
- Volume 7 -- Northwest Coast (pub. 1990) -- WorldCat 247493311
- Volume 8 -- California (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 13240086; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.8.
- Volume 9 -- Southwest (pub. 1979) -- WorldCat 26140053; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.9.
- Volume 10 -- Southwest (pub. 1983) -- WorldCat 301504096; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.10.
- Volume 11 -- Great Basin (pub. 1986) -- WorldCat 256516416; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.11.
- Volume 12 -- Plateau (pub. 1998) -- WorldCat 39401371; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.12.
- Volume 13 -- Plains, 2 vols. (pub. 2001) -- WorldCat 48209643
- Volume 14 -- Southeast (pub. 2004) -- WorldCat 254277176
- Volume 15 -- Northwest (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 356517503; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.15.
- Volume 16 -- Not yet published
- Volume 17 -- Languages (pub. 1996) -- WorldCat 43957746
- Volume 18 -- Not yet published
- Volume 19 -- Not yet published
- Volume 20 -- Not yet published