Preston England Family History Centre
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Centre, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Preston England Family History Centre is located on the Preston England Temple site, adjacent to Junction 8 of the M61 at Chorley, Lancashire. It is staffed by members of the Chorley England Stake.
- (Link to map using Googleor other map sites) Location Map]
- Temple Way Hartwood Green Chorley England PR6 7EQ United Kingdom
- Once on the Temple site, the Family History Centre is signposted and there is plenty of free parking, including dedicated disabled parking,in front of the Family HIstory Centre and at busy times on other areas of the site.
- +44 0 125-722 6145
- Mon: Closed
- Tue and Thur: 10:00am-5:00pm.
- Wed: 10 am - 6pm
- Fri: 12pm - 5pm
- Sat: 10:00am-4:00pm.
We shut in line with the Preston Temple maintenance schedule and over Christmas and New Year:
- 1 Calendar and Events
- 2 Centre Resources
- 3 Centre Services
- 4 Staff Research Specialties
- 5 Resources in the Local Area
- 6 Links
- 7 (Include links to other websites of interest to those who visit your center such as links to the city, county and state wiki pages where your center is located.)
- 8 Volunteer at the Centre
- 9 (Include information here about the volunteers you are looking for.)
Calendar and Events
Upcoming Events During the second week of the British Pageant, the centre will be open from 10 am - 2 pm, Tues through to Sat.
Staff Training Meetings
- FamilySearch Catalog: Films and fiche are ordered online by patrons for viewing at Family History Centres. If you wish to view a film at the Preston England Family History Centre please ensure you state "Preston" when ordering your film.
- There is a cabinet of miscellaneous fiche including the 1881 Scottish Census and the Scottish Old Parish Records.
- Please note that from September 1st 2017, films will no longer be available to order, all films ordered between now and Aug 31st 2017, will be held at the Centre until no longer required. By the end of 2020 all films currently held in the Granite Mountains in Utah will have been digitised and be available on-line. Some of these film images will be able to be viewed at home and others you will need to go to a Family History Centre to view.
FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the Centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Hardware and Equipment: The Family History Centre has 10 computers, 1 film reader, 1 fiche reader and a combination film and fiche reader. It is best to ring in advance to book a session.
We are happy to take Group bookings from any organisations wishing to organise a research or indexing event. We can cater for children, youth and adults.
Staff Research Specialties
Most of our staff are experienced Indexers.
Resources in the Local Area
Nearby in Chorley is the Chorley Branch of the Lancashire Family History and Heraldry Society, located at Astley Hall.
In Preston there is the Lancashire Records Office at Bow Lane.