Preesall with Hackensall, Lancashire Genealogy
Preesall (until 1910 known as Preesall with Hackensall) is a town and civil parish in Lancashire, England. The parish covers the eastern bank of the estuary of the River Wyre, including Knott End-on-Sea, Pilling Lane and the village of Preesall itself.
There is evidence that the eastern side of the River Wyre was occupied during the Danish invasions of the 9th and 10th centuries. Preesall is mentioned in the Domesday Book (1086) as being a part of the Hundred of Amounderness and the Domesday place name is given as Pressouede.The names Preesall and Hackensall are both probably Norse in origin, with Preesall meaning "a hill and a heath" and Hackensall probably deriving from "Haakon", a Viking seafarer who sailed up the River Wyre and set up an encampment in the 10th century. In 1190 the land was granted to a bowman in the service of Prince John, and in the 16th century, the land, like much in this area, passed into the possession of the Fleetwood family. Richard Fleetwood built Hackensall Hall in 1656 after their home at Rossall Hall was flooded. Nearby Parrox Hall was built about the same time, and has been in the possession of the Elletson family since 1690.
The civil parish is within the Ecclesisatical parish of Stalmine, Lancashire
1841 FHL BRITISH Film 306936
1851 p. 1-26 FHL BRITISH Film 87297
1861 FHL BRITISH Film 543087
1871 FHL BRITISH Film 846962
1881 FHL BRITISH Film 1342018
1891 RG 12/3459 (2 fiches) FHL BRITISH Fiche 6098569