Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma Genealogy
|Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma|
Location in the state of Oklahoma
Location of Oklahoma in the U.S.
|Address|| Pottawatomie County Courthouse|
325 N. Broadway Street
Shawnee, Oklahoma 74801
Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 American Indians
- 5.2 Cemeteries
- 5.3 Census
- 5.4 Church
- 5.5 Court
- 5.6 Land
- 5.7 Local Histories
- 5.8 Maps
- 5.9 Military
- 5.10 Newspapers
- 5.11 Probate
- 5.12 School Records
- 5.13 Taxation
- 5.14 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 References
Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma Record Dates
1891--Pottawatomie County was created in 1891. It was an original county from (Pottawatomie-Shawnee Lands).
County seat: Shawnee 
Pottawatomie County was founded in 1891. The Government seat is Shawnee. Pottawatomie County was named for the Potawatomi people. 
- Interactive Formation Boundary Map of Oklahoma - shows boundary changes for Oklahoma Counties
- Oklahoma Historical Boundary Changes - list of all boundary changes by county provided by Newberry Library
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
- Oklahoma City (mostly in Oklahoma County)
- Shawnee (county seat)
- Bethel Acres
- St. Louis
- Sacred Heart
- 1851 - 1959 Oklahoma and Indian Territory, Indian Censuses and Rolls, 1851-1959 at Ancestry — index and images ($)
- 1895 - 1914 U.S., Native American Citizens and Freedmen of Five Civilized Tribes, 1895-1914 at Ancestry — index and images ($)
- 1898 - 1914 Oklahoma and Indian Territory, Dawes Census Cards for Five Civilized Tribes, 1898-1914 at Ancestry — index and images ($)
- Dawes Final Rolls - Oklahoma Historical Society
Land and Property
- 1884 - 1934 Oklahoma and Indian Territory, Land Allotment Jackets for Five Civilized Tribes, 1884-1934 at Ancestry — index and images ($)
- 1889 Oklahoma County Plats 1889 - Oklahoma Historical Society
- 1899 - 1907 Oklahoma Applications for Allotment, Five Civilized Tribes, 1899-1907 at FamilySearch — index and images
- For more information see Indians of Oklahoma
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Oklahoma Cemeteries for more information.|
For tips on accessing Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma Genealogy census records online, see: Oklahoma Census.
State Census Records
- 1890 Oklahoma Territorial Census 1890 - Oklahoma Historical Societ
- 1890 and 1907 Oklahoma Territorial Census, 1890 and 1907 at Ancestry — index and image ($)
Federal Census Records
Federal Censuses were taken for Oklahoma starting in 1860. For links to Federal census indexes, see Oklahoma Census.
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Oklahoma denominations, view the Oklahoma Church Records Wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Oklahoma Land and Property for additional information about early Oklahoma land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Online Land Records
- Land Patent Search - index to federal patents and homesteads on the Bureau of Land Management website, some images available
- 1796 - 1907 - U.S. General Land Office Records, 1796-1907 at Ancestry - index, info taken from Bureau of Land Management website
- 1861 - 1936 - U.S. Homestead Records 1861-1936 at Ancestry.com - ($), index and images
- 1889 Oklahoma County Plats, 1889 - Oklahoma Historical Society
- El Reno Homesteader Filings - Oklahoma Historical Society
For more information see Oklahoma Land and Property
Local histories are available for Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma Genealogy. County and town histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Oklahoma Local Histories.
Muskogee and Northeastern Oklahoma: including the counties of Muskogee, McIntosh, Wagoner, Cherokee, Sequoyah, Adair, Delaware, Mayes, Rogers, Washington, Nowata, Craig, and Ottawa. Chicago: S.J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1922
- Interactive Formation Boundary Map of Oklahoma - shows boundary changes for Oklahoma Counties
- Maps n More - county and township maps.
- Oklahoma Civil War Map of Battles
- 1775 - 1783 - United States Rosters of Revolutionary War Soldiers and Sailors, 1775-1783 at FamilySearch - images only
- For more nationwide Revolutionary War databases, see US Military Online Genealogy Records.
- Oklahoma, Confederate Pension Index, 1915-1955 at Ancestry — index (free)
- For more nationwide Civil War databases, see US Military Online Genealogy Records.
- For more nationwide World War I databases, see US Military Online Genealogy Records.
- Oklahoma Military Deaths - Oklahoma Historical Society
- For more nationwide World War II databases, see US Military Online Genealogy Records.
Oklahoma Newspapers Online
- GenealogyBank - ($), contains images of Oklahoma newspapers
- Newspaper Archive - ($), contains images of Nebraska newspapers
- Chronicling America - contains images of some Oklahoma newspapers; searching tips
- Elephind - Free; search engine that retrieves newspaper images from other free newspaper websites
Oklahoma Newspaper Catalogs
- Oklahoma State Historical Society - catalog of known Oklahoma newspapers; lists repositories that have the newspapers
- U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present on Chronicling America - contains a list of all known newspapers and the dates they cover; once you locate a newspaper name, contact the local library to see if they have copies of the newspaper.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has historical newspapers online including Ada newspapers that may have included Pottawatomie County residents. This database is sometimes free at libraries.
- 1801 – 2008 Oklahoma Wills and Probate Records 1801-2008 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1887 – 2008 Oklahoma Probate Records 1887-2008 at FamilySearch — images
Oklahoma tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
Online Birth Records Indexes and Images
Online Marriage Records Indexes and Images
- 1841 - 1927 - Oklahoma and Indian Territory, Marriage, Citizenship and Census Records, 1841-1927 at Ancestry ($)
- 1852 - 1948 - Oklahoma, Church Marriages, 1852-1948 at FamilySearch — index
- 1870 - 1930 - Oklahoma Marriages, 1870-1930 at FamilySearch Index only.
- 1870 - 1930 - Oklahoma, Select Marriages, 1870-1930 at Ancestry — index ($)
- 1870 - 1930 - Oklahoma, Marriages, 1870-1930 at My Heritage index ($)
- 1889 - 1951 - Oklahoma County, Oklahoma, Marriage Index, 1889-1951
- 1890 - 1995 - Oklahoma, County Marriages, 1890-1995 at FamilySearch Index and images
- OKGenWeb Oklahoma Marriages
Online Death Records Indexes and Images
- Obituaries Listed in the Oklahoman - Oklahoma Historical Society — index only
- United States Social Security Death Index
- 1935 - 2014 - U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-2014 at Ancestry ($)
- 1936 - 2007 - U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007 at Ancestry, incomplete ($}
Online Divorce Records Indexes and Images
- 1923 - 1942 - Oklahoma County, Oklahoma, Divorce Index, 1923-1942
Societies and Libraries
Pottawatomie County Genealogical Society
PO Box 3526
Shawnee, OK 74801
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Shawnee Oklahoma Family History Center 1501 E Independence Shawnee, Pottawatomie CO. OK 74804-4241 United States Location Map
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county. *FamilySearch Catalog
Pottawatomie County Genealogy Society has a lot of indexes for marriages, probate, wills, cemeteries, obits, etc. Pottawtomie County Genealogy Club
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma. Page 562 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pottawatomie_County,_Oklahoma accessed 09/29/2016
- Wikipedia contributors, "Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pottawatomie_County,_Oklahoma, accessed 6 August 2016.