Portugal, Santarém, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Portugal, Santarém, Catholic Church Records, 1544-1911
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the Portugese Republic|
|Location of Santarém, Portugal|
|Title in the Language:||Portugal, Santarém, Registros Paroquiais|
|Santaréem District Archives|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 Collection Content
- 3 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 4 What Do I Do Next?
- 5 Tips to Keep in Mind
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection includes Catholic Church records created by parishes in the district of Santarém. These records include: baptisms, marriages, and deaths.
Whenever possible, FamilySearch makes images available for all users. However, ultimate rights to view images on our website are granted by the record custodians. The Portugal, Santarém, Catholic Church Records collection is available to the Family History Library, FamilySearch Centers, and to members of the supporting organization(s). The images can be viewed at a FamilySearch Center near you.
Reading These Records
These records are in Portuguese. For help reading these records see the following guides:
- Portuguese Genealogical Word List
- Portuguese Letter-writing Guide
- Learning Center Resources:
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Portugal, Santarém, Catholic Church Records, 1544-1911.|
Baptism records may contain the following information:
- Child’s name and gender
- Date and place of baptism
- Parents’ names and residence
Marriage records generally contain the following information:
- Marriage date and place
- Bride’s name, age, origin and residence
- Groom’s name, age, origin, residence and occupation
- Parents’ names
- Witnesses’ names
Death records usually contain the following information:
- Name of the deceased
- Age, gender, origin and residence
- Date and place of death
- Witnesses’ names
How Do I Search This Collection?
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select District
- Select Municipality
- Select Civil Parish
- Select Parish
- Select Record Type and Years to view the images.
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
- Use the age to calculate a birth date
- Birth and marriage records usually give the parents’ names. Look for records of the parents
- The same parish may include records for siblings or other family members
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?
- Look for an index. There are often indexes at the beginning of each volume. In addition local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records
- Search the records of nearby parishes
- Consult the Portugal Record Finder to find other records
Tips to Keep in Mind
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct
- Continue to search the records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives who records in the same or nearby parishes
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
"Portugal, Santarém, Catholic Church Records, 1544-1911." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Arquivo Distrital de Santarém (Santarém District Archives, Santarém).
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.