|Portugal Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Portugal ancestry, family history, and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, and military records.
Portugal, officially known as the Portuguese Republic is a country in Southwestern Europe bordered by Spain and includes the autonomous regions of the Azores and Madeira, island clusters in the Atlantic Ocean. Portugal was first established as a kingdom in 1139 AD, and has existed as a state under various forms of government since that date. The official language is Portuguese.
Getting Started with Portugal Research
Links to articles on getting started with Portugal research.
Portugal Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in Portugal research.
Portugal Clickable Map
Islands and Territories
Portugal has 18 districts (distritos, singular - distrito) and 2 autonomous regions* (regioes autonomas , singular - regiao autonoma).
More Portugal Research Tools
Research tools can include resources that assist in locating correct records to search and determining the correct locality to search in. Below are links and Wiki articles to research tools in Portugal.
- tombo.pt- Website that provides links to parish records and passports digitized by mainland and regional archives. In Portuguese and English. To access english version of the website, click on the British flag icon.
- Arquivo Nacional da Torre do Tombo- Mainland national archive, with instruction on accessing their digital images and the archive's catalog. The website is in Portuguese.
- Regional Archives of Madeira- Marriage indexes, parish records, and passports for the Madeira archipelago. Website in Portuguese.
- Centro de Conhecimento dos Açores- Parish records and passports for the Azores archipelago. Website in Portuguese.
- Cyndi's List - Portugal- Portuguese genealogy resources on the Internet (curated).
- Portuguese Letter-writing Guide- Instructions on writing letters in Portuguese to request genealogical information from Portugal.
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in resourcing your family.
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Help Center Lessons - Online genealogy courses
- Historical Records
- Family History Center locator map
- Portugal, Porto, Catholic Church Records, 1535-1949. Index and images.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Portugal," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portugal, accessed 24 March 2016.