Poland, Torun Parish Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- 1 Why Should I Look at This Collection?
- 2 What is in This Collection?
- 3 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 4 How Do I Search the Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
Why Should I Look at This Collection?
Virtually all Christian people who lived in Poland were recorded in a church record, so parish records are one of the primary sources for Polish genealogy.
To find more general historical background for Parish Records in Poland or to learn more about the important dates concerning church record-keeping in Poland, see the Poland Church Records page.
What is in This Collection?
This collection contains images of baptismal, marriage, and burial records for the years 1750-1915.
Browse This Collection
|You will be able to browse through images in this collection when it is published.|
Reading These Records
These records can be written in several languages, including Polish, German, Russian, and Latin. For help with these languages, see the following pages:
- Poland Genealogical Word List
- Poland Language and Languages
- German Word List
- German Script Tutorial
- Russia Languages
- Latin Genealogical Word List
What Can These Records Tell Me?
Baptismal Records generally include:
Marriage Records generally include:
Death Records generally include:
How Do I Search the Collection?
Before searching, it is best to know the following information:
- Name of the person
- Name of spouse or parents
As you search, look for a record which matches this information.
View the Images
You will be able to search this collection once it is published.
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking for, What Now?
- Copy down all the information from the record.
- Cite the record; see below for help citing this records in this collection.
- Use the information to find the person in census or church records.
I Can't Find Who I'm Looking for, What Now?
- When looking for an individual with a common name, look at all the search results before deciding which is the correct person. Use other information, such as place of birth, age, occupation, or names of parents, to help with this decision.
- Try variations of given names and surnames. A person might have been listed under a middle name, nickname, or abbreviation of their given name.
- Vary the search terms. For example, expand the date range or search by either the given name or surname to return a broader list search results.
- Search the records of nearby locations.
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Poland.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Poland, Torun Parish Records 1750-1915." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2015. Citing Archiwum Państwowe w Toruniu (State Historical Archive of Toruń, Poland).
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.