Pointe Coupee Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Guide to Pointe Coupee Parish, Louisiana ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Pointe Coupee Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||April 10, 1805|
|County Seat||New Roads|
|Address|| 201 East Main Street|
New Roads, LA 70760
- 1 Parish Information
- 2 Parish Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Biographies
- 5.3 Cemeteries
- 5.4 Census
- 5.5 Church
- 5.6 Court
- 5.7 Land
- 5.8 Local Histories
- 5.9 Maps
- 5.10 Military
- 5.11 Newspapers
- 5.12 Obituaries
- 5.13 Probate
- 5.14 Taxation
- 5.15 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
The County was named for the French for the place of the cut-off. The County has New Roads as its seat and the County was created 1807. The County is located in the central area of the state.
Pointe Coupee Parish, Louisiana Record Dates
Pointe Coupee Parish Courthouse
160 E Main Street
New Roads, LA 70760
Clerk Court has marriage records from 1735,
divorce records from 1800, probate, court
and land records from 1780.
1805--Pointe Coupee Parish was created 10 April 1805 as an original parish.
Parish seat: New Roads 
For animated maps illustrating Louisiana Parish boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Louisiana Parish Boundary Maps" (1805-1990) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
Neighboring Parishes or Counties
- Louisiana African American Griots Project ~ USGenWeb Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- Pointe Coupee Parish Biographies (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to Pointe Coupee Parish Biography Records (USGenWeb Archives)
The following web sites may have additional information on Pointe Parish cemeteries.
- Interment.net Louisiana cemetery records by Parish.
- African American Cemeteries ~ listing by county
|Pointe Coupee Parish Census Data|
- Pointe Coupee Census Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Louisiana Census Images ~ USGenWeb Census Images Project
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
- 1733-1769 - Pointe Coupee Parish Baptism Index 1733-1769. Batch C584291 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1744-1769 - Pointe Coupee Parish Marriage Index 1744-1769. Batch M584291 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1883-1899 - Immaculate Conception Church Funeral Register (Genealogy Trails)
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
Local histories are available for Pointe Coupee Parish, Louisiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories.
- Louisiana Museums
- Pointe Coupee Parish Early Territorial Records (Genealogy Trails)
- Pointe Coupee Parish Plantations (Genealogy Trails)
- Pointe Coupee Parish History Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1883 - Pointe Coupee Parish Pensioners on the Rolls as of January 1, 1883 (Genealogy Trails)
- 1898-1950 - Louisiana Confederate Pensions, 1898-1950 at FamilySearch — images
Regiments. Service men in Pointe Coupee Parish, Louisiana Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Pointe Coupee Parish, Louisiana Genealogy:
- - 1st Regiment, Louisiana Cavalry (Confederate), Company I
- - 2nd Regiment, Louisiana Cavalry (Confederate), Company K
- - 6th Field Battery, Louisiana Light Artillery (Grosse Tete Flying Artillery)(Confederate)
- - Pointe Coupee Artillery, Louisiana (Confederate), Companies A and C
- - Siege Train Battalion, Louisiana Artillery (Confederate), Company D
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Pointe Coupeé Parish:
- Map showing Civil War battles in Louisiana.
World War I
- 1917-1920 - Louisiana World War I Service Records, 1917-1920 at FamilySearch — index and images
- World War I Draft Registrations, Pointe Coupee, Louisiana (Genealogy Trails)
World War II
- 1940-1945 - Louisiana First Registration Draft Cards, compiled 1940-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images
- World War II Honor List of Casualties, Pointe Coupee, Louisiana (Genealogy Trails)
- Korean War Casualties, Various Parishes, Louisiana (USGenWeb Archives)
- Vietnam War Casualties, Various Parishes, Louisiana (USGenWeb Archives)
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Pointe Coupee Parish, Louisiana Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Coupee+parish+Louisiana+Newspapers&qt=results_page WorldCat (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- Do a Pointe Coupee Parish, Louisiana Genealogy Place-name search for these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
- Pointe Coupee Obituaries and Death Notices (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to Pointe Coupee Obituaries (USGenWeb Archives)
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the Pointe Coupee Parish, Louisiana Genealogy clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Louisiana Probate Records ~ information on.
Online Probate Records
- 1756-1984 - Louisiana Wills and Probate Records 1756-1984 at Ancestry.com Ancestry.com — index and images $
- Pointe Coupee Wills and Probate Records (Genealogy Trails)
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See also How to order Louisiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
- Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
- Pointe Coupee Vital Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1850-1875, 1894-1960 - Louisiana Deaths, 1850-1875, 1894-1960 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1883-1899 - Immaculate Conception Church Funeral Register 1883-1899 (Genealogy Trails)
- Pointe Coupee Death Records (Genealogy Trails)
Societies and Libraries
Pointe De I'Eglise Historical And Genealogical Society
PO Box 160
Church Point 70525-0160
Pointe Coupee Historical Society
500 W Main St
New Roads 70760-351
Pointe de l'Eglise: Acadia Genealogical & Historical Socieety, Inc.
PO Box 497
Crowley, LA 70527
Le Circle Historique
734 Main St.
New Roads, Louisiana 70760-3522
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Pointe Coupee Parish, LA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Pointe Coupee Parish, LAGenWeb Project, part of USGenWeb Project
- Pointe Coupee Parish, Louisiana, USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Pointe Coupee Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Pointe Coupee Parish, Louisiana, Genealogy and History (Genealogy Trails)
- Pointe Coupee Parish LA Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Wikipedia contributors, "Pointe Coupee Parish," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointe_Coupee_Parish,_Louisiana."
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Pointe Coupee Parish, Louisiana. Page 289-293 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 267-268.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed., Pointe Coupee, Louisiana p 292 (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- United States Census Bureau. "Pointe Coupee Parish Quickfacts". http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/22/22077.html.
- United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt.
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/c/c2/Igilouisiana.pdf.
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State