Pine County, Minnesota Genealogy
Guide to Pine County, Minnesota ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Pine County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||March 1, 1856|
|County Seat||Pine City|
|Address|| Pine County Courthouse|
315 6th Street
Pine City, MN 55063
Pine County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Pine County, Minnesota Record Dates
Clerk Distric Court has birth records from 1874, death records from 1879, marriage, divorce, court records from 1871. Probate Judge has probate records Register of Deeds has land records. 
- 1856--Pine County was created 1 March 1856 from Chisago and Ramsey Counties. County seat: Pine City 
- For a brief history of how Pine County was named, click here, then select Pine County.
1870 Courthouse was destroyed by fire, along with most of the county records.
1952 Courthouse burned by fire, but records were saved.
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
- Burned Counties Research in the FamilySearch Research Wiki.
- Arlene Eakle, When the Records are Gone in the Tennessee Genealogy Blog.
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Minnesota Cemeteries for more information.|
- 1865 - Minnesota State Census, 1865 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1885 - Minnesota State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1905 - Minnesota State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — index and images
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
Emigration and Immigration
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Pine – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for Pine County, Minnesota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Pine County, Minnesota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Askov American - full-text digital issues in Google News Archive; covers 1915-2009
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Online Probate Records
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online ($) or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
- 1850-2001 - Minnesota, County Deaths, 1850-2001 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Online Minnesota Death Records & Indexes
Societies and Libraries
Pine County Historical Society
305 Governors Way
Pine County Historical Society
6333 H C Andersen Alle
Pine County Genealogy Society
PO Box 115
Sandstone MN 55072-0015
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 385-403. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Pine County, Minnesota page 367, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).