Llangollen - Pigot's Directory 1835
LLANGOLLEN: A MARKET-TOWN, in a parish of its name, in the hundred of Chirk and county of Denbigh, 184 miles from London, 23 from Chester, 12 from Wrexham, and 10 from Corwen; beautifully situated on the river Dee, over which is a handsome stone bridge of five arches. This place is much frequented by summer visitants, on account of the romantic scenery in the vicinity, which, in some parts, approaches the sublime, especially near the Berwin mountain, separating the two counties of Denbigh and Merioneth. The manufactures here consist of cotton and woollen goods, and in the neighbourhood are mines of lead and iron-stone, with quarries of slate and lime, but the population chiefly depend on agriculture. The places of worship in Llangollen are, the parish church and four dissenting chapels. The church is dedicated to St. Collin; the benefice is a vicarage, in the gift of the Bishop of St. Asaph, and incumbency of the Rev. R. W. Eyton. Here is a very good house for the accommodation of travellers and visitors, called the 'Hand Hotel', conducted under the best regulations, and it is here that the harp of Cambria is often heard struck by a skilful hand. About two miles hence is the beautiful ruin of Vale Crucis abbey; and on the summit of a hill, immediately above the town, are the ruins of Castell Dinas bran, otherwise called ‘Crow castle.’ The market day here is on Saturday; and there are five fairs held in the year, viz. on the last Friday in January, March 17th, May 31st, August 21st, and November 22nd, for horses, cattle, pigs, cheese. &c. The population of the whole parish, by the census of 1821, was 3,535, of which number about 1,300 were inhabitants of the township.
- Letters for LONDON are despatched every morning at half-past eight, and arrive every afternoon at half-past four.
- Letters for HOLYHEAD are despatched every afternoon at half-past four, and arrive every morning at half-past eight.
FROM THE HAND HOTEL.
- To LONDON, the Royal Mail (from Holyhead) every morning at half-past eight - the Menai', every afternoon (Sundays excepted) at two; both go tbrough Oswestry, Shrewsbury, Shiffnall, Wolverhampton, Birmingham, Coventry, Dunchurch and St. Albans — and the Royal Express, every afternoons at four; goes through Oxford and Uxbridge.
- To HOLYHEAD, the Royal Mail (from London) every afternoon at half-past four — the Menai, every day (Sundays excepted) at twelve — and the Royal Express, every morning at ten; all go through Corwen and Bangor.
- Pigot & Co. Commercial Directory, 1835
- Pigot's directory of North Wales, 1844