|Philippines Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Philippines ancestry, family history and genealogy parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Country Information[edit | edit source]
The Philippines is an island country in Southeast Asia situated in the western Pacific Ocean. It was formerly a colony of Spain. The official languages are Filipino and English.
Getting Started[edit | edit source]
Getting Started with Philippines Research
Links to articles on getting started with Philippines research.
Philippines Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in Philippines research.
Finding Your Ancestors' Town in Philippines[edit | edit source]
- Genealogical records are organized by geographical locality. Civil registration (government birth, marriage, and death records) and church records (christenings/baptisms, marriages, and burials) were kept at the local level. To search these records, you must know the town where your ancestors lived.
- If you do not know your ancestors' town, follow the advice in the Wiki article, Philippines Finding Town of Origin, to search a variety of records that might provide that information.
Finding Your Ancestors' Province in the Philippines[edit | edit source]
Once you know the town your Filipino ancestors lived in, you will need to determine which province the town belongs to. For this you will use this gazetteer:
- Gazetteer of the Philippines : names approved by the United States Board on Geographic Names. Volime 1 (A-L)
- Gazetteer of the Philippines : names approved by the United States Board on Geographic Names. Volume 2 (M-Z)
Abbreviations are defined beginning on page x of Volume 1.
The RP under the title AREA number is a code for the province. On page xiv an xv (Volume 1), you will find a chart giving a key to the RP codes.
Philippines Clickable Map[edit | edit source]
The following map provides the locations of the many provinces in the Philippines, many of which have their own language:
Provinces[edit | edit source]
More Philippines Research Tools[edit | edit source]
Research tools can include resources that assist in locating correct records to search and determining the correct locality to search in. Below are links and Wiki articles to research tools for Philippines.
- Detailed instructions for reading Spanish records, examples of common documents, and practice exercises for developing skills in translating them can be found in the Spanish Records Extraction Manual.
- National Archives Government Website
- Catalog of Filipino Names
- Filipino Ancestors
- Obits Philippines freepages
- Families of the Philippines
- Resources for genealogy in the Philippines
- PHILIPPINES-L Archives
- Philippine Army and Guerrilla Records
FamilySearch Resources[edit | edit source]
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in researching your family.
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Learning Center - Online genealogy courses
- Historical Records
- Family History Center locator map
- Wikipedia contributors, "Philippines," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippines, accessed 28 March 2016.