Philippines, Eastern Samar, Roman Catholic Diocese of Borongan, Parish Registers - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Philippines, Eastern Samar, Roman Catholic Diocese of Borongan, Parish Registers, 1842-1984
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Eastern Samar, Philippines|
|Flag of the Republic of the Philippines|
|Flag of Eastern Samar|
|Location of Eastern Samar, Philippines|
|Record Type:||Parish Registers|
|Official Website of the Borongan Diocese|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 4 What Do I Do Next?
- 5 Citing This Collection
- 6 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection will include parish registers of births, marriages, deaths, and confirmations for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Borongan in Eastern Samar, Philippines from 1842-1984. Original records are located in the Diocese Offices in Borongan.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible, FamilySearch makes images available for all users. However, rights to view images on our website are granted by the record custodians. These images can be viewed online by members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, at a Family History Center near you, or the Family History Library.
For additional information about image restrictions, please see the Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections page.
Reading These Records[edit | edit source]
Some of these records are in Spanish. For help reading them see the following guides:
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Philippines, Eastern Samar, Roman Catholic Diocese of Borongan, Parish Registers, 1842-1984.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select Province
- Select Barangay
- Select Parish
- Select Record Type, Year Range (Volume Numbers) to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Philippines, Eastern Samar, Roman Catholic Diocese of Borongan, Cathedral Parish of the Nativity of Our Lady, Parish Registers, 1842-2014. Click on camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Make sure to fully transcribe and cite the record entry for future reference; see the section Citing This Collection for assistance. Save or print a copy of the image
- Use the information to find more. For instance, use the age listed in the record to estimate a year of birth, if that is yet undetermined
- Compile the marriage entries for every person who has the same surname as the bride or groom; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual
- Use the parents' birth places to find former residences and to establish a migration pattern for the family
- Use the marriage number to identify previous marriages
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Spelling was not standardized for much of the period of this collection, so names were often spelled as they were pronounced. Pay attention to how the name should have been pronounced and try spelling variations that could have that pronunciation
- Spanish name abbreviations may also be helpful with names
- Vary the search terms. For example, search by either the given name or surname to return broader list of possible candidates which can then be examined for matches. Alternatively, try expanding the date range
- Search the records of nearby localities. While it was uncommon for an individual in this period to move more than about 20 miles from their place of birth, smaller relocations were not uncommon
- Philippines Civil Registration records are a good substitute when birth, marriage, and death records can’t be found or are unavailable
- The Philippines Births and Baptisms, Coverage Table - FamilySearch Historical Records may also be useful.
- New information is constantly being indexed, microfilmed or updated. Periodically check back and see if your ancestor’s records have been added. You can see if the area you’ve been looking in has been recently updated by going to Historical Records Collections and notice the asterisk for recently added or updated record
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Philippines.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.