Peru Church Directories
|Peru Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
A church directory lists church officials, dioceses, and parishes. These directories are useful because:
- They list of all the parishes in a diocese, so you can determine if your ancestor’s village had a parish church. Many directories list all villages belonging to a parish.
- They sometimes provide the earliest dates of existing parish records.
- They may include historical information about each parish.
- They may group parishes by parishes (curatos) or vicarages ( vicarías) and deaneries (decanatos).
- Directories beginning in 1969 provide the complete address of each parish, diocese headquarters, and diocese archives where additional records may be kept. The 1993 directory also includes the phone and fax numbers of the parishes.
Church directories exist for the Archdiocese of Lima for 1911–13, 1916, 1918, 1935, and 1937. For Peru, there are directories for 1947, 1949, 1951, 1954, 1959, 1964, 1969, 1974, and 1993. The Family History Library has copies of directories for 1949, 1969, 1974, and 1993:
- Anuario eclesiástico del Perú 1949 (Ecclesiastical Yearbook of Peru). Lima: Impr. Santa María, 1949. (FHL book 985 K24i 1949.)
- Anuario eclesiástico del Perú 1969 (Ecclesiastical Yearbook of Peru). Lima: Secretariado del Episcopado Nacional, 1969. (FHL book 985 K24i 1969.)
- Anuario eclesiástico del Perú (Ecclesiastical Yearbook of Peru). Lima: Secretariado del Episcopado Peruano, 1974. (FHL book 985 K24i, fiche 6030554.)
- Directorio eclesiástico del Perú, 1993 (Ecclesiastical Directory of Peru). Lima: Conferencia Episcopal Peruana, 1993. (FHL book numbers 985 K24d.)
- Rodríguez, Jesus Jordán. Pueblos y parroquias de el Perú. Lima: Imprenta Pasaje Piura, 1950. (FHL book number 958K24r; film number 1162495, item 4.)
Since the latest directory was published in 1993, some information, such as the priest’s name, may be out of date. The addresses and parish histories may be still valid. For more recent information, write to:
- Conferencia Episcopal Peruana
Rio de Janeiro 488
Lima 11, PERÚ
You may also visit their website. Conferencia Episcopal Peruana
- Using the website for the Conferencia Episcopal Peruana you can view a map of the diocese, archdiocese and prelatures in Peru click on the word Jurisdicciones. To view the address and history of a particular area, click on the name of the diocese-obispado, archdiocese-arzobispado, or prelature-prelatura. A pop-up window will open with this information.
- An online directory of Catholic Dioceses in Peru is available at http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/country/dpe.html Click on the name of the jurisdiction that interests you to get further information about that area.
Church directories are listed in the FamilySearch Catalog under:
PERU - CHURCH DIRECTORIES
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at: