Personal Name Changes in the United States

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Information about finding people in the United States who have changed their names.

Federal law allows aliens applying for naturalization to request a free name change upon the grant of citizenship. Some immigrants use this opportunity to obtain a name that sounds more American. Modern Application for Naturalization forms ask whether the person applying for naturalization would like to legally change his or her name. The name change becomes final when citizenship is granted.

For more details, see the Wikipedia article Name Change.