|Pennsylvania Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
2207 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103-3010
Phone: (215) 545-0391
Fax: (215) 545-0936
1300 Locust Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107-5699
Phone: (215) 732-6201
Fax: (215) 732-2680
- 1553 - 2015 Pennsylvania Historical Society of Pennsylvania Card Catalog 1553-2015 at FamilySearch — images
An important resource for this society is Guide to the Manuscript Collections of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania, 3rd ed. (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: The Society, 1991; FHL book 974.811 J53h).
1212 Smallman Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
Phone: (412) 454-6000
Fax: (412) 454-6028
Additional Societies can be located at:[edit | edit source]
- Pennsylvania Archives and Libraries
- Pennsylvania Church Records
- Pennsylvania Genealogy
- Pennsylvania Periodicals
Many counties also have local historical and genealogical societies. You can find local society addresses by using directories cited in United States Compiled Genealogies or by an internet search engine with terms such as "Pennsylvania, Genealogy, and Society." Pennsylvania has many historical and genealogical societies. Most collect historical documents of local interest, publish periodicals, and have special projects and indexes.
The Family History Library has records for a number of societies in Pennsylvania, including the following:
- The Grand Army of the Republic (based on Union Army service during the Civil War) has produced Grand Army of the Republic, Department of Pennsylvania, Record of Eligibility of Ladies of the Grand Army of the Republic, Department of Pennsylvania 1883-1992 FHL films 1888615-16. This source helps locate records of military personnel as well as the genealogy of the applicants.
- The Colonial Society of Pennsylvania, located in Philadelphia, is open to individuals who have an ancestor in colonial America. See Colonial Society of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania), Applications for Membership in Alphabetical Order by Member With a Complete Genealogy Back to Original Ancestor FHL films 532056-73.
- The Huguenot Society of Pennsylvania has as it's purpose to perpetuate the memory of the Huguenots. Members of the society include descendants of Huguenot families immigrating to America before November 1787 and anyone who has made the Huguenots a subject of research papers, etc. The society was organized in Reading, Pennsylvania, in 1918. They published: Huguenot Society of Pennsylvania, (series) vols. 1- 15 (Norristown, PA.: The Society, 1918-1939) and the continuation Proceedings of the Huguenot Society of Pennsylvania, v. 16-39 (Norristown, PA.: The Society, 1942-1967; Family History Library FHL book 974.8 C4h; film for v. 1-3 and 7-9 is FHL film 1697274 item 5-6).
- Sons of the American Revolution. Pennsylvania Society. Patriots Index; Members and Ancestors, 1893-1993. Monongahela, PA: PASSAR, 1995. Family History Library FHL book 974.8 C42sar.
References[edit | edit source]