Pennsylvania Research Tips and Strategies
|Pennsylvania Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Pennsylvania Research Strategies
Below are links to different research strategy pages to help you locate your ancestors in Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Online Genealogy Records
- How to find Pennsylvania Birth Records
- How to find Pennsylvania Marriage Records
- How to find Pennsylvania Death Records
Pennsylvania Research Tips
These tips will help you as you research your ancestors in Pennsylvania.
- Birth information: Between 1852-1855 Pennsylvania counties were directed to record births within their jurisdiction. However few counties complied. In 1893 counties were again required to record births within their jurisdiction. This law had a better response and remained in effect until 1906 when the state of Pennsylvania began to record births on a statewide level. A helpful substitute record to find birth information is a death record. However, date and place of birth on a death record is considered secondary information, as it was not recorded at the time of the birth event. The birth information should be corroborated with other substitute records to improve accuracy.
- Finding Parents: Statewide registration for Pennsylvania deaths began in 1906. Prior to the state keeping death records counties kept death records beginning in 1893. They often will list the parents of the deceased and their birth information. Search Pennsylvania death records
- Look in all censuses: Always look for your ancestor in every possible census. There are clues regarding immigration, naturalization, and occupation that can lead to other records. Sometimes parents can be found living with their children later in life. Search U.S. Censuses.
- Marriage Records. Coverage map showing FamilySearch county marriage holdings. FamilySearch Historical Records
Pennsylvania Record Finder
This Record Finder is designed to help you determine the best record to search for the type of information you are looking for. It is most helpful for post-1850 research.
|1. What you are looking for:||2. Try these records first:||3. Other useful records|
|Birth information||Birth records, Death records, Obituaries, Church records||Cemeteries, Naturalization and Citizenship, Bible records, Military records (pension)|
|Marriage information||Marriage records, Obituaries, Bible records||Church records, Probate records, Military records|
|Death information||Death Records, Cemeteries, Obituaries||Probate Records, Church Records, Bible Records|
|Parents||Birth records, Death records, Obituaries, Census, Church records||Biography, Genealogy|
|Maiden name||Marriage Records, Obituaries, Probate records||Church Records, Military Records (pension)|
|Immigration date||Emigration and Immigration, Naturalization and Citizenship, Census||Obituaries, Biography, History|
|Naturalization||Naturalization and Citizenship, Census, Court Records||Voting Registers, Biography, Periodicals|
|Physical description||Military Records, Naturalization and Citizenship (after 1906)||Biography, History|
Further Pennsylvania Research
For more research on Pennsylvania, including research at the county level, visit the Pennsylvania page on the Research Wiki.
Search all of the Pennsylvania record collections at FamilySearch.