Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Births (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Births, 1860-1906
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Philadelphia City, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Flag of Pennsylvania|
|Location of Philadelphia City, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania|
|Location of Pennsylvania|
|City of Philadelphia, Department of Records, Pennsylvania.|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection is an index and images of birth registers from the Board of Health in the city of Philadelphia. It includes birth returns filed by physicians, midwives and area hospitals or other facilities. The collection includes records from 1860 to 1906.
Whenever possible, FamilySearch makes images available for all users. However, rights to view images on our website are granted by the record custodians. Some of the images in this collection are only available for viewing if you are a registered FamilySearch user. You can register for a free FamilySearch account here.
For additional information about image restrictions, please see the Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections page.
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
- Date of Registration in City of Philadelphia
- Date of birth
- Name of child
- Place of birth (ward number and street address)
- Names of parents
- Occupation of father
- Name of physician and their residence
Digital Folder Number List
This collection was published as a DGS browse collection. A table listing each DGS number and its contents can be found at Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Births Digital Folder Number List.
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The approximate date of birth
Search the Index
View the Images
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Births, 1860-1906. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
Whenever possible, view the original records to verify the information and to find additional information that might not be reported. These pieces of information can lead you to additional records and family members.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Use the information to find other vital records such as marriage and death
- Search for military records
- Search for the family in census records
- Search for land and probate
- Search church records for additional information
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist. Try variations of your ancestor’s name while searching the index or browsing through images
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names, or even initials
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Pennsylvania.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Births, 1860-1906." Database with images. FamilySearch. https://FamilySearch.org : 18 September 2018. City of Philadelphia, Department of Records, Pennsylvania.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.