Pennsylvania, Grand Army of the Republic Membership Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Pennsylvania, Grand Army of the Republic Membership Records, 1865-1936
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Pennsylvania|
|Location of Pennsylvania|
|Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Harrisburg|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Related Digital Books
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Index and images of membership records of the Pennsylvania Department Grand Army of the Republic that cover from the years 1865-1936. An organization of Union army and navy veterans of the Civil War. The collection consists of registers, lists, minute, account and descriptive books of local post (chapters) The descriptive books include town of residence, military unit, date of enlistment,date of discharge, age and birthplace. The collection was acquired from the Pennsylvania State Archives.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Pennsylvania, Grand Army of the Republic Membership Records, 1865-1936.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Member's name
- Enlistment date
- Discharge date
- Organization served in
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The dates of military service
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select the Box Number to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Pennsylvania, Grand Army of the Republic Membership Records, 1866-1956. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible, view the original records to verify the information and to find additional information that might not be reported. These pieces of information can lead you to additional records and family members.
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Use the name, enlistment date and organization to find the soldier’s military service or pension records
- Use the information to find other records such as birth, christening, marriage, census, land and death records
- Use the information to find additional family members in census records
- Search for land and probate records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby locality
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist. Try variations of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names, or even initials
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Pennsylvania.
- US Military Basic Search Strategies
- Beginning Research in United States Military Records
- Beginning United States Civil War Research
- Locating a Union Civil War Soldier (1861-1865)
- Pennsylvania Guided Research
- Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Research
Related Digital Books[edit | edit source]
- Rosters Department of Pennsylvania Grand Army of the Republic 1885,1908-1909,1912, 1921
- Annual Encampment Department of Pennsylvania Grand Army of the Republic 1907
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.