Pattingham, Staffordshire Genealogy
Guide to Pattingham, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Hundred||South Seisdon; Stottesden|
|Poor Law Union||Seisdon|
|Parish registers: 1559|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1660|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of the Manor of Pattingham|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
Parish HistoryPATTINGHAM (St. Chad), a parish, in the union of Seisdon, partly in the hundred of Stottesden, S.division of Salop, but chiefly in the S. division of the hundred of Seisdon and of the county of Stafford, 6½ miles (W.) from Wolverhampton. 
|Part of this parish is in Shropshire. See also Pattingham, Shropshire.|
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Pattingham parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = Staffordshire Parish Register Collection (findmypast) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|PATTINGHAM PARISH (1559) Online Records|
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Pattingham, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 537-540. Date accessed: 01 November 2012.
- 'Staffordshire Parish Records Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 12 August 2014.
- 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 15 August 2014.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (N-Z), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 23 September 2013.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 8 September 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8