Patrick County, Virginia Genealogy
Guide to Patrick County Virginia ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, immigration records, and military records.
|Patrick County, Virginia|
Location in the state of Virginia
Location of Virginia in the U.S.
- 1 County Information
- 2 Patrick County, Virginia History
- 3 Patrick County, Virginia Places/Localities
- 4 Patrick County, Virginia Genealogy Resources
- 4.1 African American
- 4.2 Bible Records
- 4.3 Cemeteries
- 4.4 Census
- 4.5 Church Records
- 4.6 Genealogy
- 4.7 Land and Property
- 4.8 Local Histories
- 4.9 Maps
- 4.10 Migration
- 4.11 Military
- 4.12 Miscellaneous Records
- 4.13 Naturalization
- 4.14 Newspapers
- 4.15 Private Papers
- 4.16 Probate Records
- 4.17 Taxation
- 4.18 Vital Records
- 5 Patrick County, Virginia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Patrick County, Virginia Genealogy Websites
- 7 References
Patrick County is located in the Southern portion of the Commonwealth of Virginia and shares a border with North Carolina. Patrick County was named in honor of Patrick Henry.
Patrick County, Virginia Courthouse
Patrick County Courthouse
101 Blue Ridge Street
P O Box 148
Stuart, Virginia 24171-0148
Clerk Circuit Court has birth, and death records 1853-1896
marriage, divorce, probate and land records from 1791
Patrick County, Virginia History
The county was named after Virginia Governor Patrick Henry (1736-1799).
For animated maps illustrating Virginia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Virginia County Boundary Maps" (1617-1995) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
- Lost censuses: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1890
Patrick County, Virginia Places/Localities
Patrick County, Virginia Genealogy Resources
- Virginia Freedmen's Bureau Letters or Correspondence, 1865-1872
- Heinegg, Paul. "Patrick County Personal Property Tax List, 1791-1814," Free African Americans.com. [Heinegg abstracted free blacks listed in these records.]
Images of the Virginia Historical Society's family Bible collection have been digitized:
- Virginia Historical Society Papers, 1607-2007 - browse collection at FamilySearch; free.
Additional Bible records include:
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Virginia Cemeteries for more information.|
- 1800-1986 - Virginia, Jewish Cemetery Records Index, ca. 1800-1986 at FamilySearch — index
- Baughan, Mrs. Charles C. "Hylton Family Cemetery, Patrick County, Virginia," [and family notes] The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 21, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1977):172-174. Available at American Ancestors ($).
|Source: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau.|
1790 - Lost, but a substitute is available, see Taxation.
1800 - Lost, but a substitute is available, see Taxation.
1810 - Lost, but a substitute is available, see Taxation.
- Douthat, James L. 1840 Mountain Empire of Virginia Census. Signal Mountain, Tenn.: Mountain Press, 2001. FHL Collection 975.5 X2d 1840. Free online surname index and purchase details at Mountain Press website. [Includes Patrick County.]
1890 Union Veterans
- "Virginia's Union Veterans: Eleventh Census of the United States 1890." Prince William County Virginia, by Ronald Ray Turner. FHL Collection. Includes residents of this county.
Early Baptist churches (with years constituted):
- Jack's Creek (1804)
- Smith's River is discussed in Virginia Appalachian Notes, Vol. 10, No. 3 (Aug. 1986): FHL Book 975.5 D25v v. 10 (1986).
Patrick County fell within the bounds of the Strawberry Association.
Early monthly meetings (with years of existence):
- Blue Ridge Mission (1883-1916) aka Broadway
More than 50 genealogies have been published about Patrick County families. To view a list, visit Patrick County, Virginia Compiled Genealogies.
Land and Property
- Pedigo, Virginia G. History of Patrick and Henry Counties, Virginia. Roanoke, Va.: Stone Printing and Manufacturing Co., 1933. Original edition and 1977 reprint available at FHL; digital version at Ancestry ($); and World Vital Records ($).
- Elliott, Katherine B. Emigration to Other States from Southside Virginia. 2 vols. South Hill, Virginia: K.B. Elliott, 1966. Vol. 1 of original edition available at FHL; 1983 reprints (both volumes) available at FHL; 1990-1992 reprints (both volumes) also available at FHL. [Includes individuals who migrated out of Patrick County to other parts of the country.]
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Eastern District, Patrick County on page 132.]
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include "an Added Index to States." FHL Collection 973 M24ur; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes veterans from this county; Virginia section begins on page 238.]
War of 1812
Patrick County men served in the 18th Regiment.
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Virginia, Patrick County, p. 97. Identifies War of 1812 veterans living in this county in 1883.]
Regiments. Service men in Patrick County, Virginia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Patrick County, Virginia Genealogy:
- Information about the Companies that served from Patrick County can be found at:
(1) FHL book 975.5695 H2h titled History of Patrick County, Virginia, pages 97-164
(2) FHL book 975.5 M2vr v. 29 titled A Guide to Virginia Military Organizations 1861-1865
- - 4th Regiment, Virginia State Line (Cavalry and Infantry) (Confederate). Company H.
- - 5th Battalion, Virginia Reserves (Confederate)
- - 6th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate)
- - 12th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate)
- - 21st Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company G 2nd.
- - 24th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company H.
- - 24th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company I.
- - 29th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company E.
- - 42nd Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company H (Patrick Henry Volunteers).
- - 50th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company H (Wise Yankee Catchers) and Company K (Patrick Boys).
- - 51st Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate).
- - 58th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company H (Patrick Grays).
- - The Orange Artillery (Confederate)
Records and histories are available, including:
- 1861-1865 - Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
The Virginia Newspapers Project identifies local Patrick County, Virginia Genealogy newspapers.
Professor Tom Costa and The Rector and Visitors of the University of Virginia have created a database of all runaway advertisements for slaves, indentured servants, transported convicts, and ship deserters listed in the Virginia Gazette and other Virginia newspapers (1736-1803), see: The Geography of Slavery in Virginia.
A free index to Patrick County, Virginia Genealogy wills and administrations (1791-1800) is available at the Library of Virginia website.
|Online Patrick County, Virginia Tax Lists|
- [1791-1814] Patrick County Personal Property Tax Lists 1791-1814 (images); digital version in Tax List Club at Binns Genealogy ($).
- [1791-1799] Land Tax, 1791-1799, Magazine of Virginia Genealogy, Vol. 24, No. 2 (May 1986); Vol. 24, No. 3 (Aug 1986).
-  Baughan, Barbara C. and Betty A. Pilson. Miscellaneous Records of Patrick County, Virginia. Westminster, Md.: Willow Bend Books, 1999. FHL 975.5695 P28ba [Includes 1791 land tax.]
- [1791-1814] Heinegg, Paul. "Patrick County Personal Property Tax List, 1791-1814," Free African Americans.com. [Heinegg abstracted free blacks listed in these records.]
-  County Tax List, 1800, Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 48, No. 2 (Apr. 2004).
-  Index of the 1810 Patrick County, Virginia Personal Property Tax List; index online at New River Notes - free.
-  Schreiner-Yates, Netti. A Supplement to the 1810 Census of Virginia: Tax Lists of the Counties for which the Census is Missing. Springfield, Va.: Genealogical Books in Print, 1971. Available at FHL. [The source for this publication is the 1810 personal property tax list. Patrick County is included because the 1810 Census for that county has been destroyed.]
-  Tax List, 1810, Southwest Virginian. Norton VA: Dec 1980. Vol. 3 Iss. 18.
-  Ward, Roger D. 1815 Directory of Virginia Landowners (and Gazetteer). 6 vols. Athens, Georgia: Iberian Pub. Co., 1997-2000. Available at FHL. [The source for this publication is the 1815 land tax. Patrick County is included in Vol. 2.]
Indexes to Patrick County, Virginia Genealogy births, marriages, and deaths are available online. These collections are incomplete, but are easy to search. Most records can also be ordered electronically online as well. Courtesy: FamilySearch - free. See also How to order Virginia Vital Records
- 1853-1896 - Patrick County Birth Index 1853-1896. Batch C868645 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1912-1913 - Virginia, Birth Certificates, 1912-1913 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1660-1800 - Virginia Marriages 1660-1800 (Ancestry) ($).
- 1660-1959 - Virginia, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1740-1850 - Virginia Marriages 1740-1850 (Ancestry) ($).
- 1791-1912 - Patrick County Marriage Index 1791-1812. Batch M868644 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1899 - Virginia Marriages 1876-1899 (Ancestry) ($).
- 1853-1870 - Patrick County Death Index 1853-1870. Batch B868645 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1912-1987 - Virginia, Death Certificates, 1912-1987 at FamilySearch — index and images
Vital Record Substitutes
The Virginia Historical Society's Marriage and Obituary Index, 1736-1820 (newspaper abstracts) is available for free online. Images of the original index cards are browseable, arranged alphabetically by surname.
|For birth, marriage, and death record substitutes, see Bible Records, Cemeteries, Church Records, Newspapers, and Probate Records.|
Patrick County, Virginia Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- Bassett Historical Center, Bassett, Virginia. Website includes collection description. Excellent resource for family history research in Henry, Patrick, Floyd, Franklin and Pittsylvania counties in Virginia, the city of Martinsville, Virginia, and Rockingham, Stokes and Surry counties in North Carolina.
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
Patrick County, Virginia Genealogy Websites
- Patrick County, Virginia USGENWEB
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Patrick County, VA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Familytree101)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Patrick County, Virginia. Page 718 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Robert Baylor Semple and George William Beale, A History of the Rise and Progress of the Baptists in Virginia (Pitt and Dickinson, 1894), 338-339. Digital version at Google Books.
- Jay Worrall, The Friendly Virginians: America's First Quakers (Athens, Ga.: Iberian Publishing Company, 1994), 537-539. FHL Book 975.5 K2wj.
- Stuart Lee Butler, A Guide to Virginia Militia Units in the War of 1812 (Athens, Ga.: Iberian Pub. Co., 1988), 166. FHL Book 975.5 M2bs.
- The Virginia State Line: Organizational Structure of the Virginia State Line, Ranger95.com, accessed 11 June 2012.
- Patrick County Historical Society, History of Patrick County, Virginia (Stuart, Va.: Patrick County Historical Society, 1999). FHL Book 975.5695 H2h.
- Michael A. Cavanaugh, 6th Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1988). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 43.
- John E. Olson, 21st Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, c1989). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 57.
- Darryl Holland, 24th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1997). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 128.
- Ralph White Gunn, 24th Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1987). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 34.
- John Perry Alderman, 29th Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1989). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 53.
- John Chapla, 42nd Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1983). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 5.
- John C. Chapla, 50th Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1997). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 129.
- History of Patrick County, Virginia (Stuart, Va.: Patrick County Historical Society, 1999), 100-101. FHL Book 975.5695 H2h.
- Robert J. Driver, Jr. 58th Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1990). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 68.
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/3/37/Igivirginia.pdf.
- Alice J. Sweeney, "Bassett Historical Center," The Virginia Genealogical Society Newsletter, Vol. 28, No. 4 (Aug. 2002):1-3, available online at: http://www.vgs.org/vgsn2804.pdf.