Patriarchal Blessings of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
|The Church of Jesus Christ|
of Latter-day Saints
Background[edit | edit source]
A patriarchal blessing is a blessing given to members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by an ordained patriarch. The top of the printed copy of the blessing often gives the person’s complete name, birth date, birthplace, and parents’ names. When looking for a patriarchal blessing, always check for women under their maiden and married names. Some early Saints had more than one blessing.
Copies[edit | edit source]
The Church History Library archives, preserves, and provides access to the patriarchal blessing records. Individuals may request copies of their personal patriarchal blessing and those of deceased, direct-line family members. A direct-line family member is a spouse, child, parent, grandparent, or great-grandparent. It is not a sibling, aunt, uncle, cousin, or in-law.
To obtain a copy of a patriarchal blessing, you will need:
- An LDS.org account
- Your Church membership record number (MRN). If no MRN is available, primary documentation identifying the requester is needed
- The blessing recipient’s current name
- The blessing recipient’s name at the time the blessing was given
- Names of the blessing recipient’s parents, including the mother’s maiden name
- The birth date of the blessing recipient
- The approximate year the blessing was given, if known
- The patriarch’s name, if known
- Your relationship to the recipient (for deceased direct-line family member blessing requests)
- If no MRN has been provided, documentation of your relationship to the recipient (for deceased direct-line family member blessing requests)
- Your mailing address, including apartment number or PO Box number
- Your email address
- Your primary telephone number
To request a copy of a blessing:
- Go to LDS.org. In the top right corner, click on My Account and Ward, then select Patriarchal Blessing.
- In the new window, click on Sign In, and log in with your LDS.org account (Your FamilySearch login information is also your LDS.org account information.)
- Click on My Blessings.
- Follow the instructions to verify personal information.
- To request a blessing, click on Request Personal Blessing or Request Family Blessing and provide all the required information.
- Upon verification by Church History Library staff, the blessing will be delivered online. It can then be viewed by accessing the patriarchal blessing page again and clicking on the name of the individual, whose blessing you requested.
Individuals may use Church History Library computers during regular hours to request copies of their own patriarchal blessing or those of deceased direct-line family members. Individuals will be required to create an LDS.org account to request copies of any patriarchal blessings. Library patrons may also use the library’s cash-operated printers to print copies of patriarchal blessings already attached to their LDS.org accounts.
For additional information, visit the patriarchal blessing FAQ page at history.lds.org/article/chl-pb or call 1-801-240-3500.