Parracombe, Devon Genealogy
Guide to Parracombe, Devon ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Barnstaple|
|Parish registers: 1687|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1597|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple|
|Location of Archive|
|Devon Record Office|
PARRACOMBE, a parish, in the union of Barnstaple, hundred of Sherwell, Braunton and N. divisions of Devon, 12 miles (N. E.) from Barnstaple. The parish comprises 3791 acres, of which 1637 are common or waste land. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Parracombe, Devon Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|HATHI = Hathi Trust Digital Library - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|WVR = World Vital Records - (£)|
|Parracombe, Devon Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Devon Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Parracombe on GENUKI
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Date accessed and adapted: 30 October 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- A.J. Skinner, ed., The Register of Baptisms, Marriages and Burials of the Parish of Parracombe, Devon, 1597-1836' (Exeter: Devon and Cornwall Record Society, 1917). Digitised by Hathi Trust - free.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Devon, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 13 February 2014.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- A.J. Skinner, ed., The Register of Baptisms, Marriages and Burials of the Parish of Parracombe, Devon, 1597-1836' (Exeter: Devon and Cornwall Record Society, 1917). Digitised by World Vital Records - (£).