Papua New Guinea Land and Property
|Papua New Guinea Wiki Topics|
|Papua New Guinea Background|
|Local Research Resources|
- Tochi Daicho (Japanese Land Records) Available for Keyngel, Ngaraad, Ngatpang, Ngchesar, Ngerchelong, Ngeremlengui, Ngiwal, Melekeok, and Peleliu
- Microfilmed in Trust Territory Archives (Reel 490) available at United States National Archives, Hamilton TT Archives, University of Hawaii, Manoa and Micronesia Area Research Center, University of Guam
- Translated into English and indexed, available at Department of Lands and Surveys, Koror, Palau
- Digitized and indexed, available at Department of Lands and Surveys, Koror
Record type: Land claims based on family and tradition, tenancy and tax records.
Time Period: 1950-present.
Content: Land claimants’ names, taxes and rent paid, dates of residence, land descriptions, fathers’ names and sometimes names of several generations of ancestors; date and mode of land acquisition.
Location: National Archives, municipal archives.
Population coverage: 40%.
Research use: Primarily for family relationships and to extend lineage beyond other existing records.
- The Family History Department of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, “Family History Record Profile: Papua New Guinea,” Word document, private files of the FamilySearch Content Strategy Team, 2000.