Panton, Addison County, Vermont Genealogy
The charter for Panton was granted on November 3, 1761, the same day as Weybridge, and apparently suffered from a mixup in Benning Wentworth's land grant office. According to the two grants, Weybridge was to take its boundaries from Panton, and Panton would take its boundaries from Weybridge. The first settlers in Panton discovered that, if the boundary measurements from their grant were followed, a big part of their town would lie under the waters of Lake Champlain. Not only did the town never recover any land, but it lost more when Vergennes city and Waltham town were created.
In the fall of 1778, Benedict Arnold's little navy battled a superior British fleet on Lake Champlain and was defeated. Hopelessly battered, the flagship Congress and four smaller craft were run aground in Panton at what has since been known as Arnold Bay.  
Panton – Past and Present, Condensed History of the Town of Panton, Vermont, 1761-1991, by Lois Thurber and Ann Russett - this book available at the Panton Town Hall.
FamilySearch Historical Records Collection has Vermont birth, death, and marriage records online.
The probate district for Panton is Addison.
Addison Probate Court
7 Mahady Court
Middlebury, VT 05753
Phone: (802) 388-2612
The following is a list of cemeteries in present-day Panton. For location of cemeteries, see Cemeteries of Vermont, Addison County, website at this link.
- Adams Cemetery - inscriptions found at Find A Grave site.
- Adams Ferry Cemetery - inscriptions found at Find A Grave site.
- Hawley Cemetery (also known as: East Panton Cemetery) - inscriptions found at Find A Grave site.
- Kent Cemetery - inscriptions found at Find A Grave site.
- Spaulding Family Cemetery - inscriptions found at Find A Grave site.
Town Clerk Vital and Town Records, 1816-1999, can be found on FamilySearch (browse only images).
The Family History Library has microfilm of original records from the Panton Town Clerk's Office. These include Records of births, marriages, and deaths, 1857-1999; indexes to births, marriages, deaths, 1857-1999, and Deeds, town and vital records, 1784-1879.
Town of Panton
3176 Jersey Street
Panton, VT 05491
Phone: (802) 475-2333
Libraries and Historical Societies
- Panton VT Town History, http://www.virtualvermont.com/towns/panton.html#about
- History of the Town of Panton, VT http://sites.rootsweb.com/~vermont/AddisonPanton.html