Palm Beach County, Florida Genealogy
Guide to Palm Beach County, Florida ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Palm Beach County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||April 30, 1909|
|County Seat||West Palm Beach|
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Cemeteries
- 5.3 Census
- 5.4 Church
- 5.5 Cities and Towns
- 5.6 Court
- 5.7 Directories
- 5.8 Land
- 5.9 Local Histories
- 5.10 Immigration
- 5.11 Maps
- 5.12 Military
- 5.13 Newspapers
- 5.14 Obituaries
- 5.15 Probate
- 5.16 Taxation
- 5.17 Vital Records
- 5.18 Societies and Libraries
- 5.19 Websites
- 5.20 References
Palm Beach County, Florida Record Dates
Palm Beach County Courthouse
301 N Olive Ave;
West Palm Beach, FL 33401-4705
County Judge has marriage and probate records.
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce, court and land records. 
Like a mighty Banyan: contribution of Black people to the history of Palm Beach County. editor, Vivian Reissland Rouson-Gossett ; associate editor, C. Spencer Pompey. - Palm Beach County, FLA.: Palm Beach Junior College, . - 96 p. F317.P2 L54 1982
History Palm Beach
For animated maps illustrating Florida county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Florida County Boundary Maps" (1821-1997) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
The following web site may have additional information on Palm Beach County cemeteries.
- Interment.net Florida cemetery records
For tips on accessing Palm Beach County, Florida Genealogy census records online, see: Florida Census.
- 1783 Spanish Census USGenWeb
- 1821 Census/Tax List Index USGenWeb
- 1823 Census/Tax List Index USGenWeb
- 1880 Census African Born Blacks and Mulattos USGenWeb
- Federal Census Information from National Archives USGenWeb
- State Census Information from Florida State Archives USGenWeb
- Census of Pensioners Revolutionary Military Service USGenWeb
FLGenWeb Palm Beach
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Palm Beach W.
Cities and Towns
FLGenWeb, Palm Beach County Cities and Towns
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Land Grants of Palm Beach Co FLGenWeb
Local histories are available for Palm Beach County, Florida Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
Hurricanes, The Case of the Disappearing Ancestor; Palm Beach Co, FLGenWeb
NARA Ships Passenger Lists
These passenger lists cover:
1834 - 1897 Immigration of Russians to the United States
1/12/1846 -12/31/1851 Irish Famine
1850 - 1897 Germans to the United States
1855 - 1900 Italians to the United States
- 1821-1997 Maps of Florida
- 1870 Gray's Atlas Panhandle Portion of StateUSGenWeb
- 1882 Rand McNally Panhandle Portion of StateUSGenWeb
- Exploring Florida, FCIT Maps University of South Florida
- Palm Beach County Military Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Palm Beach County Military Records (FLGenWeb Project)
- Florida State Military Files USGenWeb
- Florida state pension records from various wars Pension Transcriptions USGenWeb
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Florida Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1885-1955 - Florida Confederate Veterans and Widows Pension Applications, 1885-1955 at FamilySearch — images only
World War I
- 1917 - 1918 - Palm Beach County Civilian Draft Registration (USGenWeb Archives)
- Palm Beach County Army and Air Force Casualties - World War I - Scroll down to World War I. (FLGenWeb Project)
World War II
- Index to Palm Beach County World War II Army Enlistees - Scroll down to WWII. (USGenWeb Archives)
- Palm Beach County Army and Air Force Casualties - World War II - Scroll down to World War II. (FLGenWeb Project)
- Palm Beach County Korean War Casualties (Genealogy Trails)
- Florida Casualties in the Korean Conflict distantcousin.com
- Palm Beach County Vietnam War Casualties (Genealogy Trails)
- Florida Casualties in the Vietnam War distantcousin.com
Current Newspapers of Palm Beach Co Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Palm Beach County, Florida Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Beach+county+Florida+Newspapers&qt=results_page WorldCat (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- Do a Palm Beach County, Florida Genealogy Place-name search for these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search). FLGenWeb
Courtesy of The Boca Raton Historical Society Archives:
- 1948-1993 Boca Raton Historical Society Archived Newspapers
- Early Florida Newspapers at the Florida State Library USGenWeb
- Obituary Index of Palm Beach Co FLGenWeb
- Death Notices and Obituaries Genealogical Society of Palm Beach County
- Sources of Obituaries in Palm Beach County Genealogical Society of Palm Beach County
- U.S. Hidden Ancestors Obituaries
- USGenWeb Obituaries Project Obituary transcriptions from Florida counties
Probate records are held by the Palm Beach County, Florida Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Palm Beach County, Florida Genealogy Courthouse. See the wiki page Florida Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Online Probate Records
- 1784 – 1990 FamilySearch Florida Probate Records 1784-1990
- 1810 – 1974 Ancestry.com $ Florida Wills and Probate Records 1810-1974
- Florida State Archives $
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online. See also How to order Florida Vital Records
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Florida.
Vital Records of the Palm Beach Co, FLGenWeb
- 1877 - 1939 - Florida, Deaths, 1877-1939 at FamilySearch — index
- 1900 - 1921 - Florida, Deaths and Burials, 1900-1921 at FamilySearch — index
- 1877 - 1998 - Florida, Death Index, 1877-1998 at FamilySearch — index
- 1837 - 1974 - Florida, Marriages, 1837-1974 at FamilySearch — index
- 1830 - 1993 - Florida, Marriages, 1830-1993 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1830 - 1957 - Florida, County Marriages, 1830-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1822 - 1875 and 1927 - 2001 - Florida, Marriage Index, 1822-1875 and 1927-2001 at FamilySearch — index
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Boca Raton Florida Family History Center
- Jupiter Florida Family History Center
- Palm Beach Florida Family History Center
- Wellington Florida Family History Center
Genealogical Society of Palm Beach County
P.O. Box 17617
3650 Summit Boulevard
West Palm Beach, FL 33416
Email General Inquiry:
Genealogical Society of Palm Beach County
Jewish Genealogical Society of Palm Beach County, Inc.
P.O. Box #7796
Delray Beach, FL 33482-7796
Mark Jacobson 561-487-9165
Dennis Rice 561-738-7477
Mitch Heide 561-926-4311
Palm Beach County Genealogical Society, Inc.
100 Clematis Street, P. O. Box 1746
West Palm Beach, FL
Palm Beach County Library
3650 Summit Boulevard
West Palm Beach, FL 33406
- Palm Beach County, FL History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Florida Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Palm Beach County, Florida GenWeb Project, Inc.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Palm Beach County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Palm Beach County, FLGenWeb Project
- Palm Beach County, Florida, USGenWeb Archives
- Palm Beach County, Florida Genealogy Trails
- Palm Bech FL Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 123-139. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Palm Beach County, Florida Page 136 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogy Trails History Group, “Palm Beach County, Florida Genealogy and History”, http://genealogytrails.com/fla/palmbeach/ accessed 04/25/2017.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Palm Beach County," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_Beach_County,_Florida 04/25/2017.